Mrs. Sykes

Math teacher Mrs. Sykes works on Master of Business Administration degree.

After assigning Geometry and Statistics homework throughout the day, Amanda Sykes possesses homework of her own – not over any type of math, but business. However, Ms. Sykes is back in class as a student to pursue a Master of Business Administration degree (MBA) at Texas Tech University, but she isn’t necessarily getting her degree to leave the classroom.

“I’m not completely sure what I want to do with my degree, so I’m leaving my options open,” Ms. Sykes said. “I would like to merge my love of education with business.”

Whether it be teaching, grading papers, working on her MBA or taking care of her little boy Keller, Ms. Sykes stays busy. Because of her added duties and busier schedule, Ms. Sykes uses an electronic calendar to keep all of her due dates, tasks and meetings at hand to ensure she doesn’t get a late grade or forget to create an exam.

“I prioritize and try to do things as efficiently and effectively as possible,” Ms. Sykes said.

Ms. Sykes’ husband helps her out by picking up their son from daycare once a week so that she can stay at school and work on her homework.

“My husband is very helpful,” Ms. Sykes said. “It’s important that I don’t try to do it all myself.”

During her free time, Mrs. Sykes likes to spend time with her husband, play with her son and watch television.

“I don’t see myself ever completely being out of education,” Ms. Sykes said. “There are definitely some rough times, but overall it’s very rewarding and each day brings something new.”