Ashley Richardson: Jersey Numbers

Everyone has a story behind their numbers they pick for their particular sport. Some say that there isn’t a specific reason for their choice, while others are so superstitious that they must have a certain number or else they won’t play correctly.

It all began for me when I was 6 years old, I was just getting started in softball. It was back before uniforms were all nice and orderly and actually meant something to a little girl. All we wore were shorts and a t-shirt with a black number screen-printed on the back. I was so young, that I honestly didn’t even know what the big deal about picking a number was. I actually didn’t even pick my number, my mom did. For 2 years the number that represented me was number 24.

As I grew up, I noticed that everyone had a number that had represented something special to them. I noticed that peoples numbers made them recognizable on and off the field. I started thinking about what number I could use to represent me and to help people notice me. When I switched teams at age 8, I got to choose another number that I wanted. I chose number 4.

First of all, number 4 represents the day that I was born. I wanted to choose something concrete that would acknowledge a specific meaning toward me. I knew that when I picked this number, nobody else on my team would be able to say that the number 4 represented something meaningful to them. It made me feel like it was another part of me that nobody could take away because it represent me and showed who I am as an individual.

I am obsessed, yes obsessed, with even, single-digit numbers. I don’t like the people whose numbers are ninety-nine or fifty-seven. I feel like they don’t have anyway of representation to them and that they don’t mean anything personal.

Now, ever since I was 8, I have been number 4. I plan on having it throughout the rest of my high school career as well. I enjoy the fact that everyones numbers can represent a different part about their lives. Numbers help show fans, coaches and teammates who you are and what you represent. Picking your own number should stick with an athlete for the rest of their athletic career. It shows that everyone has their own, individual, unique story that nobody can take away from them.