How to Prepare for Possible Earthquakes

Seismograph; Image courtesy of Flikr.com

Earthquakes come frequently in Texas.There has been a total of 73 earthquakes in Texas within the past year. Though they may not be as bad as the ones in California, we still experience them here too. Keep these simple steps in mind, to help in case you get caught in the middle of an earthquake.

Safe Spots
Some possible secure places indoors could be underneath a durable table or up against an inside wall. In the event that staying indoors will end badly, go outside to be more safe. If you plan on standing outside, try to avoid any infrastructure, road lights, trees, electrical lines, and bridges of course.

Create an Emergency Supply Case
What a way to be ready for when disaster happens. By creating such a kit, you allow yourself and your family a better chance of staying safe. You can add a first aid kit, non-perishable food, plenty of water, flash light with several extra batteries and anything else that might be helpful.

Breakables
Anything that could break should be stored in boxes or put in low cabinets in order to avoid the possibility of it falling and shattering.

Emergency Communication Plan
Make sure you come up with a clear, structured plan to keep up with family or whoever you may be with if an earthquake should occur. Have your family on speed dial to call in case of emergencies like this.

Practice Earthquake Drills
The three terms to remember: drop, cover, and hold on. Dropping to the ground will prevent anything hitting you from above, covering yourself will provide protection of your body, and holding on to something can help you to stay upright or anchor yourself down.