Varsity Volleyball Fights to Secure Playoff Spot

The varsity volleyball team gathers during a time out.
Photo by Aisha DeBurr

Varsity Volleyball assistant coach, Rachel Ryan, intently watches the ensuing game as the girls position themselves for defense. Repeating the familiar motions, previously sharpened in practice, the white ball is repositioned and harshly returned to the opposing team.

The Legacy volleyball team will face off against Red Oak on Tuesday, Oct 7 followed by 3 more remaining tuesday games. Along with substituting lost players with JV and freshmen players, head coach Amanda Shingleton and assistant coach Rachel Ryan have recently received a freshman, Janell Fitzgerald, who will start as their varsity middle blocker.

“Janell is an explosive and highly offensive player,” Ryan said. “She plays with a lot of energy and creates several offensive opportunities for us.”

Volleyball has played all opponents once this season and will prepare for the second round of matches by reviewing game film and practicing skills that will serve as an advantage against each specific team. Ryan hopes that in turn, the team will further their time spent in the playoffs.

“Our goal is to not only make playoffs, but extend our playoff run for as long as possible,” Ryan said.

Coaches and Captains alike see the upcoming match as another opportunity to help secure their playoff spot. Varsity Captain Jasmine Jones views Red Oak as a formidable opponent but believes Legacy can defeat the team.

“Red Oak has been a traditionally good team so we will have to battle but we should win,” Jones said. “They have good ball control but our team is just better.”

Kyle Manning
Kyle Manning, Staff Writer
Hey I'm Kyle and I play hockey. I have big feet, but small toes. I am awkward. I like to pick my nose in public. Oh, I took sumo wrestling as a child. I drive a Fiat 500. I enjoy boxing with my Capuchin monkey. [email protected]
Aisha DeBurr
Aisha DeBurr, The Arena Photo Editor
Hello! My name is Aisha DeBurr, the last name's French. I like to cheer, watch tv, and take pictures. Anyways, that's me, okay, bye.