What it Means to Be a Leader

Work ethic, character and a positive attitude make someone a good leader. Everyone has the potential to become a leader in whatever they want to, the challenge is whether or not they are willing to make themselves the one that their teammates look up to for help and advice.

In softball, we elect leaders, meaning that my teammates held the power to choose who they wanted as their team leaders. I was elected to be one of four team leaders based on my positive example and attitude towards the team. The fact that my teammates recognized what I do on and off the field made me realize that I am constantly watched and evaluated by my teammates.

When being a leader it means that the team mainly focuses on you, it means that everyone goes to you for advice when they need help, not only in a sporting situation, but in a life situation as well. It shows that no matter what you are there to demonstrate what needs to be done and how it needs to be done most efficiently.

Along with the other three team leaders, we meet with our coach about once every week to talk about things that need to focus on. Focusing mainly on team building skills, leadership skills and team evaluations, the coach talks to us about what she expects from the team and where she wants to stand by the time season starts.

It makes me feel like a good teammate whenever someone comes up to me and asks what they need to do in order to improve their skills. It makes me feel as if they can come and talk to me about anything and that they trust me to help them out, even though I might not always know exactly what to say.

A leader must show good character, meaning what you do when nobody watches. They need good communications skills between the coach and the teammate, and they must always lead by example. Having a good character proves to everyone that you want to be there and you are willing to do whatever it takes to make the team better.

A leader needs to stay focused, positive and hard working in order to keep the team upbeat and energized during practice and play. A good team develops through a good leader.

Ashley Richardson, Sports Editor
My name is Cheeks, yes Cheeks, it's not weird. I am a senior and I am the sports section editor. I am socially awkward, kind of, don't judge me. You'll grow to love me, everybody does, eventually. It's a great day to save lives people (if you don't know what that means, I'm disappointed).
$3000
$5000

$3000
$5000

• T

TamikaJan 7, 2015 at 8:58 am

This made me want to be a better leader.i have more positive attitude . Very good story