Channa Parvin

Channa Parvin plays varsity basketball against
Photo by Aisha DeBurr

From basketball practice to the doctor’s office, junior Channa Parvin, a varsity basketball player, has a busy schedule for an athlete. Parvin does not fall into the group of ordinary athletes, however, she is one on the team everyone should look up to. Her adversities help define her character as a player on the court and a leader off the court. Parvin, since freshman year, has been on the Legacy varsity basketball team, taking charge of starting point guard.

“I love being a part of such a talented group of ladies,” Parvin said.

Parvin has been playing basketball her whole life and enjoys every second of it, but basketball is not her only accomplishment in life. Besides being a starting point guard since her freshman year, Parvin is a cancer survivor.

When Parvin turned one, her mother took her to her one year checkup but when she arrived, the doctor noticed an issue with her stomach. The doctor immediately sent her to get a biopsy surgery to determine the issue. From there, they found a cancer in her stomach. Parvin had stage three Neuroblastoma, a stomach cancer found in children.

Stage four of this cancer is the worst, so the chances of surviving weakened since she was so young. Knowing that she had a very little chance of surviving, she says that together, her, her family, the doctors, and God were strong enough to beat this cancer. Parvin remains cancer free for now, she is currently 17 years old.

“Being on the court knowing I’ve had cancer makes me feel like God has given me an opportunity that not many people get,” Parvin said. “It’s made me become a fighter.”

Parvin takes part of the St, Jude’s survivor program. That means that she gets different types of tests run on her every six months to help St. Jude’s research program and to make certain that the cancer does not return. Parvin shows her motivation to fight in the doctor’s office and on the court.

Parvin wouldn’t be the same athlete today without surviving the cancer she had when she was one. The lady broncos have started off their pre-district games and are 5-2 so far.

“My team means the world to me,” Parvin said, “and the game of basketball is my passion.”

*Sophomore Megan Bell helped contribute to this story*

Ashley Richardson, Sports Editor
My name is Cheeks, yes Cheeks, it's not weird. I am a senior and I am the sports section editor. I am socially awkward, kind of, don't judge me. You'll grow to love me, everybody does, eventually. It's a great day to save lives people (if you don't know what that means, I'm disappointed).
Aisha DeBurr, The Arena Photo Editor
Hello! My name is Aisha DeBurr, the last name's French. I like to cheer, watch tv, and take pictures. Anyways, that's me, okay, bye.
$3000
$5000

$3000
$5000

• E

Enrique MendozaJan 9, 2015 at 8:38 am

Very inspiring. Took my breath away, she’s stronge from what I’ve read.

• D

Daniel suarezJan 9, 2015 at 8:29 am

I really enjoy this story because it shows hard people work at what they enjoy to do and will do anything to keep doing it.

• M

Miriam villalobosJan 8, 2015 at 8:55 am

Wow. This is very inspiring, brings out how strong she is.very well story.

• H

Hannah G.Jan 8, 2015 at 8:53 am

Reading this made me feel inspired to do more. I have also played basketball most of my life, and I know how hard practices can be sometimes. It’s so great that you haven’t let it get you down.

• K

Kendra.WJan 7, 2015 at 9:42 am

Really great inspiring story. I see her around school all the time and had no clue she had such an amazing story.

• C

ColbiJan 7, 2015 at 8:52 am

The story is truly inspirational. Its shows that your misfortunes can shape you into being an incredible person.