Fab Lab
Fab Lab

My Changing View On College

As children, teachers asked us what we wanted to be when we were older. In high school they asked us to seriously consider our future careers and colleges. However, choosing a career can be confusing and difficult and college can seem intimidating.

Throughout my whole life, my idea of my dream job changed frequently. When asked what I wanted to be as a child, I replied with “nurse.” As I got older and learned more, I changed it to a pilot. In sixth grade, my choice changed from a pilot to a secretary back to a pilot.

Currently, I want to be an aerospace engineer. Knowing that I am a person that loves to help with anything, being an aerospace engineer might change. I might become a counselor or a paramedic because I would love to help people get through tough times or to save someone’s life. After graduating high school, college becomes my next step down the road.

I used to imagine college as a professor with the purpose of making my life a living nightmare. As a junior, I see it differently now because of what I am learning. College might look cruel and cold, but it serves a purpose. Since seventh grade, I participated in a college preparatory program called AVID.

AVID prepares students with knowledge about what they want to do and how to get to the college of their dreams. College representatives and students come to speak to the high school students about getting to college and what to expect.

The advice they gave us was not what I expected. Yes, college seems hard, but only if we make it that way. The speakers told us to have study habits for the tests and assignments, to know how to ask questions towards the professors, be organized with time and schedules and to make college an exciting experience. College can shape your character and knowledge of people around you.

No one should really be worried about college if they planned out their college path. Mansfield ISD provides many opportunities about college, helping students along the way with what they want to be in the future. College can be a life changing experience and should be appreciated.