Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond
Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond

Fiona Hoang

Fiona Hoang
Photo by Cameron Badolato

Walking down the crowded hallway on the way to her next class, Junior Fiona Hoang hands out slips of paper to everyone she passes. The slips display the words “you are beautiful” in different colored markers. Students that receive seem shocked at first, but then read it. A smile floods their face as they thank Hoang.

“One night I just decided to make about 100 of them,” Hoang said. “It made me feel really happy giving them out and making people’s days, so I do it randomly now.”

Hoang stands out from her peers. While some teenagers enjoy grumbling and submerging themselves in negativity, Hoang prefers to always focus on the positive aspects.

“There’s always a negative and a bright side of things,” Hoang said. “I choose to look on the bright side.”

Theater teacher Jeremy Ferman has taught Hoang since her freshman year and worked with her on several productions.

“Fiona is one of the most positive people I’ve met,” Ferman said. “She always kind of lights up the room and she never forgets to tell people how beautiful they are, and that makes me happy.”

Hoang has been a faithful servant to Legacy Theater performing and stage directing shows. She even earned the hallowed title of Thespian when she became inducted into the Thespian Society. This year she serves as an official Theater officer. Hoang fills the position of treasurer for the Theater Department.

“They are a bunch of weird people, and I’m weird,” Hoang said. “I can be as crazy as I want and they’ll still love me; they’re like my second family.”

Along with her love of theatre, Hoang greatly loves anywhere with a large crowd, especially pep rallies where her piercing screams and crazy dancing can be witnessed by everyone in her vicinity.

“Pep rallies are like big parties,” Hoang said. “I love going to concerts too; I love music and watching people dance; I just love people.”

Being raised in an Vietnamese-American household has shaped Hoang’s actions and mindset. Coming from a culture based on honoring ancestors and valuing the family unit has made Hoang have a respect and love for others.

“I have pride in my culture” Hoang said. “I speak two languages and it’s not like the usual Spanish or French language; it’s Vietnamese and no one really speaks it so that makes me unique.”

Rebecca Goodman
Rebecca Goodman, Staff Writer
Hi I'm Becca! I love Tex Mex and my dog above all else. I'm a senior this year and I really really really want to go to UT Austin but if I don't get in pretend like I didn't say that. I procrastinate everything and I'm still super pale. I hope you enjoy the stories I write this year!
Cameron Badolato, Photographer
Hey my name is Cameron Badolato. I am a senior this year and am attending college next fall. I enjoy watching Netflix and eating food. Other interests of mine include dogs, going to concerts, and Chipotle. I'm looking forward to this year and I think it will be a great senior year.