Starting the Day with Scripture

BASIC starts off Wednesday mornings by reading scripture.
Photo by John Snyder photo | wikipedia.com | used with permission

Senior Douglas Nyandika walked into the empty classroom and set his belongings onto the desk. As he waited patiently for the others to arrive, Stephan Shardy broke the silence and struck up an engaging conversation. The non-denominational pastor passionately spoke about the word of God.

“We need missionaries,” Shardy said. “God is calling his people.”

Just as the conversation became interesting, senior Katie Knapp, dressed in her polished JROTC uniform, rushed into the classroom. She distraughtly threw her belongings on the floor and reached for her brown, leather Bible. Out of breath, Knapp broadcasted her thoughts to ignite a discussion.

“This isn’t just a science book or a history book,” Knapp said. “One Bible, one Truth.”

Randomly dispersed around the room, the students listened to Knapp read verse Isaiah 40:22 from the bible. It declares that if given the opportunity to reflect on past events we shall know the outcome or perhaps know the future. Afterward, Nyandika spoke words from Leviticus 17:11. Shortly after, senior Shamrin Prater read from the book of Job. After hearing the verses, the group of students exchanged thoughts.

“People used to think the Earth was flat, yet the Bible said it was a circle. Later science proved the Earth was a circle,” Knapp said. “Predictions in the Bible always come true.”

Brothers And Sisters in Christ meets every Wednesday morning for 15 minutes in Dr. Shardy’s classroom to share a morning devotional. With time running out, Nyandika lead the others in a closing prayer.

“Small in number, but your word is powerful,” Nyandika said. “God, you know better than us.”

View Comments (2)
Hannah Garcia
Hannah Garcia, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
My name is Hannah Garcia, and I'm proud to be Editor-in-Chief of such a great publication. I could try to be funny, but I won't put you through the pain of reading lame jokes. I'm here to write and make some memories before I leave high school. Peace out girl scout.
$3000
$5000

$3000
$5000

• K

Kiersta GarciaFeb 25, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Great article, Hannah.

• K

Kiersta GarciaFeb 25, 2015 at 5:15 pm

So glad to know that there are students that take time for God each day. It is nice to know our kids are supported by such a loving faculty. Thanks Legacy Staff.