Black History Month: Nine People You Should Know

Heres a list of notable African Americans who have changed history.
Photo by wikipedia.org| used with permission
Here’s a list of notable African American’s who have changed history.

For the past century, we’ve celebrated the achievements and accomplishments of African Americans and their positive contributions in U.S. history. Growing out of a week called “Negro History Week” in 1926, Black History Month’s celebrated annually every February 1 through 28. This list will recognize some of the most important and interesting people of African-American history.

Martin Luther King Jr.
The leader of the African-American Civil Rights Movement who transformed the world creating equal rights for all.

Jackie Robinson
On April 15, 1947, Robinson was the first African-American drafted to the MLB and played over 10 seasons with the Brooklyn Dodgers breaking the MLB’s color barrier.

Michael Jordan
Winning six championships with the Chicago Bulls, Michael Jordan was one of the NBA’s greatest players of all-time.

Frederick Douglas
After escaping slavery, Douglas became a leader of the Abolitionist Movement and worked as a social reformer, orator, writer and statesman.

Malcolm X
Malcolm Little also known as El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz or Malcolm X, fought to equalize human rights and preached to many people as a muslim minister.

Earl Lloyd
During the 1950-51 NBA season, Lloyd along with Chuck Cooper and Nat “Sweetwater” Clifton were the first African Americans to play in the NBA.

Thurgood Marshall
From October 1967 until October 1991, Marshall was an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court. He was the court’s 96th justice and its first African-American justice.

Kenny Washington
Washington played for the Rams and became the first African American in the NFL.

Barack Obama
Elected in 2008, Barack Obama became the first African-American president in U.S. history.