ISIS: The Latest on the Troubled Organization

Photo by Ben Townsend
The Islamic State of Syria (ISIS) has caused controversy lately from it’s radical ideas and tactics.

Some changes have happened with ISIS, garnering more attention to the ongoing battle in the Middle East. Not only does this war have American soldiers fighting for the Islamic people but also Americans who have decided sitting back and watching isn’t enough.

Previously all talk of war was out of the question, however with all the changes and the worsening war in the Islamic territories President Obama has finally proposed a “draft war authorization” plan. Although some people do not agree with this plan others believe it’s exactly what we need to keep our home front safe as well as help the Iraqi government. Even though we haven’t officially declared war, we will come to a conclusion soon.

The government has had a tough time keeping control of the terrorist group but finally have taken their land back. A report made on April 1, 2015 by Fox News stated that Iraqi Government claimed a victory over Tikrit. The Iraqi government was able to gain the support of the Sunni people to fight back and had additional help from the U.S. Together they were able to fight back and triumph over the ISIS group.

Aside from the help the Iraqis receive from the Sunnis and the U.S., American volunteers who aren’t in Iraq as a part of our military but as people who want to make a difference have gone overseas to help fight against the ISIS military. On March 20, NBC News released a story about a group of volunteers who entered into the war zone to help and protect the Iraqi people. Most of the volunteers veterans who aren’t being paid to fight but are fighting to protect a nation. The volunteers who are fighting alongside the Kurds have been greatly impacted by it and believe many more people should join in on the movement.

Although some luck has come the Iraqi government’s way, they still face some challenges. A main challenge for the government has been that the ISIS military has recently gained the help of Boko Haram, an extremist Islamic group found in Nigeria. At one point this group was frowned upon by the ISIS military but however it might be the military’s most helpful alliance. Boko Haram translates into ‘Western Education is sin” the group has recently been gaining much power and becoming more deadly with every action. The extremist group has been fighting the NIgerian government indirectly. Instead of fighting the Nigerian governments soldiers the group goes into villages, markets and churches killing and kidnapping people. They have bombed many markets and surrounding countries. Together this alliance will cause destruction and give ISIS much more power and lanc. Like the ISIS terrorist group, Boko Haram has become a fast growing extremist group that not only endangers the surrounding countries but also the U.S.

Anna Jordan
Anna Jordan, Staff Writer
Hey I'm Anna Jordan and I am going to keep this short and sweet just like me. I am a senior and have been apart of the Newspaper department for three years.
Ben Townsend
Ben Townsend, News Editor
I'm the News Editor so yeah. Enjoy the news. Go team.