Elisa Watkins

Elisa Watkins joins the Bronco family as the new nurse.
Photo by Sterling Greback

RN BSN Elisa Watkins bustled around the nurses’ office, familiarizing herself with the placement of bandaids and glucometers, reading student records and making herself at home in her new position as school nurse.

Watkins’ employment with MISD began when a position opened up and she began working March, 16. Watkins jumped at the opportunity to work in the city she lived in and applied immediately. Before working for MISD Watkins worked with children at Haltom Middle School in Birdville ISD. She loved her experience there but has noticed a few differences.

“[High school students] are much more independent than middle school students. Which is a good thing of course,” Watkins said. “The school was a very low socioeconomic status. The kids needs were a lot different [and] I ended up being like the doctor for the school.”

Watkins also worked with children in a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center, even though she never thought she would work with adolescents. Originally working the hospital float pool, Watkins didn’t enjoy working with elderly patients and decided she needed a complete switch.

“Seeing death every day wears on you after a while,” Watkins said. “It’s nice to move on somewhere you get to see life and new beginnings. It’s a cool transition”

When not at school Watkins enjoys spending time with her family and traveling, her favorite thing to do involves watching movies with her husband. In the summer Watkins continues to work, but as a camp nurse for summer camps like Hoblitzell, in MIdlothian Texas. Overall, Watkins felt welcomed to Legacy and loves the schedule she keeps.

“There is no typical day,” Watkins said. “We just take whatever come at us.”