Softball Goes to Playoffs

The Broncos faced Lakeridge on round one of the playoffs.
Photo by Hillary Brown

Before every game the Bronco softball team starts off with their pregame chant: “Ahhhhh Let’s do it, ayeeee, ahhhh, let’s do it, ayeee, ahhhhh, let’s do it, ayyyee. L’s up throw your L’s up, L’s up throw your L’s up, we areeeee Broncos Strong… Broncos Tough… Broncos Proud..”

The varsity Bronco softball team took on their cross town rival, Lake Ridge, for their last district game on Friday April 24, however, the weather had different plans for the two teams. The Broncos took the field earlier than expected, starting at 5:15 p.m. and cutting it short in the bottom of the third inning, winning 5-0.

The Broncos quickly ran out to right field to tarp the field before the rain came down. Right after that they grabbed their equipment and met in the locker room where they were told that the game would be continued on Saturday, April 25.

Arriving at 8:00 a.m. on April 25 to un-tarp the field, the team spent an hour and a half pushing water off the field so that it would be playable. At 11:00 a.m., the game started off exactly where they left off: bottom of the 3rd Brittany Munoz up to bat with a 1-2 count with Lake Ridge having only one out.

“Coming back into the game the next day, I had my mind set that I had a 1-2 count and that the pitcher would probably be looking to throw a first pitch strike,” Munoz said, “therefore I was going up there swinging.”

That afternoon the Broncos defeated the Lady Eagles 11-1; leaving Legacy in the third seed, taking them to playoffs Thursday, April 30 vs. Seagoville.

Meagan Dake, sophomore shortstop for the Broncos, went three for three at the plate against Seagoville and had an outstanding performance on the field.

“We have a lot of potential for playoffs this year,” Dake said. “The team has been working hard and I think we are more ready than we have ever been.”

The Broncos spent all week preparing themselves for the beginning of the road to state that was scheduled to face Seagoville High School in Desoto, TX.

Sweeping the Lady Dragons 19-2, the Broncos became the Bi-District Champs.

The Broncos then took on Lufkin High School in Hallsville, TX for round two of the playoffs. The final score was 5-2 with Legacy walking away with the win. Freshman Sophie Hannabas stepped on the mound for the Broncos. She had two strikeouts with her defense doing an excellent job behind her.

“Walking in the circle on Saturday I knew I had one job, and that was just to make Lufkin look silly at the plate or make them put the ball in play, because I know I had my team behind my back to take care of the ball and get the twenty-one outs that we needed to win that game,” Hannabas said.

Top of the fifth inning and up to bat was Meagan Dake with Reagan Wright, Tay’ln Moody, and Brittnay Munoz on the bases. With the third pitch, Dake ripped the ball over left field fence making it a 5-0 ball game.

“Rounding third then hitting home plate and seeing how proud my team was had the most meaning and it felt so good to see the look on their faces, Dake said.”

With all the momentum that the Broncos had, the team kept a solid defense and brought home the Area Champs win.

The Broncos plan to take on round three Wednesday the 13th in Forney, TX vs. Hallsville High School. Legacy hopes that mother nature works with them so that they can handle business and bring home the win.