5 Steps To A Better Sleep Schedule

Setting an alarm can help with waking up early for some people.
Photo by (photo by hang_in_there via flickr cc.)

Beginning the school year can be difficult, sleeping in for two months and staying up late may throw off your school sleep pattern. When beginning the new school year it would be best to adjust your circadian rhythm, the internal clocks in our body that help us sleep, to keep from struggling to stay awake in class and help improve motivation and attitude.

Bright Lights

When trying to adjust your sleep cycle, try going to bed in a totally dark room. Turn all of the lights off, then when trying to wake up hit the switch. The body’s clock has been proven to be set by certain things, light being a major disruption to your attempts at sleeping.

Meal Restrictions

Meals play a big part in sleep cycles, the human body adjusts to three major meals a day; breakfast, lunch and dinner. By eating in a less erratic fashion and sticking close to those three meals a day at about the same time each day, it can make it easier to sleep at the right time.

Avoiding Naps

Naps can also throw off your circadian rhythm. By avoiding naps and waking up at a set time every morning, you can help yourself get ready for the early mornings when school starts.

Preparing Early

Begin to slowly shift your sleeping times. Try going to sleep 30 minutes or an hour earlier each night and wake up a little earlier as well. The gradual change will help your body ease into the school year.

All Nighter

When in desperate need to get back onto a regular sleeping schedule, stay up for one full day. The lack of sleep will allow you to fall asleep quickly the next night at your preferred time. All-nighters may be unhealthy, but if needed they can be an effective as your last resort.