New Club Strikes Attention

Legacy High School bowling tryouts  will be held during the week of Oct. 5.
Photo by Courtesy Photo
Legacy High School bowling tryouts will be held during the week of Oct. 5.

Bowlers who want to represent their school on the lanes have an opportunity to do so with the new bowling team. Formed as a conglomerate with other Mansfield ISD high schools, the bowling team provides competition to bowlers across the district. After hearing about it from one of her teachers, junior Kelsey Meyers looks forward to the start of the team.

“I’m really excited even though I’ve only done it casually and not competitively,” Meyers said. “A bunch of my friends and I are going to tryout and it’ll give us a chance to hangout so it’ll be fun.”

Selection of the two varsity and two JV teams playing for each school will occur during tryouts the week of October 5 at Alley Cats. It will cost $15 to tryout. Upon induction of the team and a $100 joining fee, bowlers will be official members of the youth United States Bowling Congress. The players will then practice weekly until the season start in November.

“Even though I’m a bit shaky on my bowling skills, I’m ready for tryouts,” Meyers said. “I’m really [passionate] about the idea of the team so hopefully it’ll help me.”

Throughout the season, bowlers will be assisted by several instructors to help improve their form, footwork and swings to be ready for their weekly games.

“I’m glad there are instructors there to help us through the season,” Meyers said. “I know there are lots of rules to the sport and a [full] understanding of them will help on the lanes.”

Although not a UIL sport, participation in the bowling team will require abidance by UIL rules such as “no pass no play”.  Additionally, bowlers will be able to earn a letter jacket if they make it into state-level competition.

“I think it’s fair that we abide by rules such as ‘no pass no play,” Meyers said. “It wouldn’t be fair to others who work hard to pass their classes to play [alongside] those who didn’t.”

Mrs. Julie Gross, Legacy’s bowling team coach, has undergone training and was even inducted to the United States Bowling Congress in order to be prepared to coach.

“When I was asked to sponsor the team, I immediately said yes,” Mrs. Gross said. “I think it’s going to be a lot of fun and I’m hoping this bowling team provides students who haven’t connected anywhere somewhere they can fit in.”

Mrs. Gross has high hopes and visions for the new school sport.

“I envision this team to have a positive environment where we are all involved together,” Mrs. Gross said. “Not only that, we will have lots of Bronco spirit and have lots of fun.”

Sara Gerges, News Editor
News editor. Short and sweet, just like this bio.