Isabella Modderman

Isabella Modderman, 10, made a big move from Australia to Texas.
Photo by Nikki Dimanche

People who fear big change would dread moving across the city and see moving across the state as a nightmare. For sophomore Isabella Modderman, that change had to be endured when she moved halfway across the world, from Australia to Texas.

At age 13, Modderman left her father’s family and five siblings in Australia to move across the world with her mother and stepfather.

“My mom wanted to move here for years, and then she got a job offer,” Modderman said.

The move between continents proved somewhat challenging for Modderman, despite the many previous moves around Australia, from Bendigo to Canberra, Newcastle and Sydney.

“I was pretty upset when I found out, but I just got over it, because I realized I just didn’t want to live where I was anymore,” Modderman said.

Despite overcoming the anxieties and frustration of moving, Modderman still remembers the life she left behind.

“I definitely miss my friends and my family,” Modderman said. “I was talking to one of them this morning, and it was kind of sad.”

Modderman has since then efficiently adjusted to American life, with a few exceptions.

“I still get the seasons messed up, I always think summer is in December,” Modderman said. “Plus it can be hard to remember to drive on the other side of the road.”

Regardless of the occasional errors, Modderman doesn’t plan on moving back down under anytime soon.

“I have a greencard that’s good for like ten more years, so I probably won’t be going back until that expires,” Modderman said. “I definitely won’t go back before I finish school.”