Splashing into the New Season

Junior Madison Koceich swims breaststroke against Keller at the first meet of the year.

New season. New coach. Feeling nervous junior Madison Koceich jumps into the pool at the MISD Natatorium to start warming up for the first meet of the season. Cramped and crowded, swimmers were forced to swim on top of each other. The announcer’s voice mumbled beneath the water, and the natatorium reeked of chlorine. Hot and humid. The joys of swim meets.

At the duel meet, Legacy swam against Keller and Mansfield High School swam against Martin High School. The four teams swam in the same events. Typical swim meets consist of eight individual races and three medley relays. This year, Coach Johnson wants Koceich to focus on getting faster times for the 200 Individual Medley.

“I don’t feel like I’m good enough,” Koceich said. “If he says I’ve got the potential, then I feel like I can get better.”

Coach Nicholas Johnson began working with the students when former Coach Tony Tullbane accepted a job at River Crest Country Club at the end of the 2014-2015 school year. The swimmers say the two men have very different teaching methods.

“He is very soft spoken, which isn’t a bad thing, but Coach Tullbane was loud,” Koceich said. “I think it’s good we have a new coach. There’s different coaching styles that work for different people. I don’t necessarily think one coach is better than the other.”

Without a quiet moment at the pool, swimmers cheer on their fellow teammates. During the 100 yard Backstroke, teammates Hannah Pikey,12, and Jill La Voie,10, cheered on senior Marcy Crouch every flip turn.

“Go! Marcyyy!” Pikey and La Voie yelled from the end of the lane.

Coach Johnson thinks the meet went well against Keller. He says the team had a solid meet.

“I’m just stepping in his shoes. The team is in a wonderful place. I was proud of the kids’ support for each other, and I know we will continue to progress as a team as the season continues,” Coach Johnson said. “Legacy has had success in the past, and I just want to build on that.”

After the meet ended, Coach Johnson called the team together for a meeting. Taking initiative, Pikey and senior Nick Tullbane gave pointers for future meets. Legacy’s swim team ended the night with a signature cheer. The next swim meet will be Oct. 17 at the Mansfield Natatorium, and Legacy will be swimming against Arlington ISD.

“I want to improve my times overall. I feel like I have to live up to expectations of Coach Tullbane, but there’s definitely room for improvement,” Koceich said. “Usually I would say it’s too early in the season to tell, but I’m confident in our team. I know the people on this team are hardworking and have good attitudes. As far as how our season is going to go with a new coach, we definitely miss Coach Tullbane, but Coach Johnson is doing a great job. When it gets down it, it’s really up to the swimmers to do their best. Our team last year was phenomenal, so I’m not worried for us this year.”