Mady Walker

Photo by Megan Bell
Freshman Mady Walker plays timpani for the band

Freshman Mady Walker’s life was forever changed last February. She tested positive for MELAS: Mitochondrial encephalomyopathy, lactic acidosis, and stroke like episodes.

“I was kinda upset because the cases with the mildest MELAS syndrome have only lived until they’re 30,” Walker said.

Walker also has Optic Neuritis which has left her visually impaired. Despite her prognosis, Walker has been an active participant in band and student council. Every Friday night she is playing timpani, the large, circular percussion instrument in the front ensemble, for the marching band.

With Walker’s unique position, the band had the opportunity to do something they hadn’t done before. They added timpani. According to Mr. Vasquez, Legacy’s percussion instructor, the bigger drums will help with her sight. As well as adding a new instrument to the band, the band procured a golf cart with help through the district. Walker uses a motorized wheelchair to help her move through the school, but with all the travel the marching band does, Mr. Vasquez said the golf cart was the best solution.

With these additions, Walker’s participation in band was made possible. Walker has also brought something besides playing to the band.

“It’s been great for me. She makes days easier. I feel like I can never have a bad day because she has such a struggle,” Vasquez said. “She acts so normal, so she forgets her limits and pushes herself. She is just Walker and is my student.”

This year, as a part of the marching bands show, she plays one of the most famous and iconic timpani solos of all time. As part of the marching show, she plays the timpani solo in Music for Prague 1968, a piece about the Soviet Union crushing a resistance movement in the city of Prague. Band and her other activities has given Walker something she hasn’t had lately: a sense of normalcy.

“It makes me feel normal because the band members have been very welcoming to me.” Walker said. “So, when we go onto the field together, I don’t feel so different.”

So when the cart is coming onto the field and Walker is playing her solo, or when she is going through the halls, know she is just a normal girl going through her day.

“It makes my day,” Vasquez said. “They just know her as Mady”

Even with all that has happened in Walker’s life, she continues to be positive and strive for more.

“I want to let people know that they can be successful no matter what,” Walker said. “Thank you to everyone [who] has been very helpful and friendly, because every little bit helps me through the day.”

Breton Hawkins
Breton Hawkins, Staff Writer
I'm Breton Hawkins and I'm incredibly excited to be joining Newspaper this year. I'm in pretty much everything else at Legacy, Drumline, AcaDec, Debate, UIL, Chess Club, and probably some other things I signed up for and forgot about, but I'm proud to add Newspaper to that list.
Megan Bell
Megan Bell, The Rider Photo Editor
Hi I'm Megan Bell!
I am the Photo Editor for The Rider Online so I edit all the pictures you see on this site! I am a senior this year and I'm planning to major in journalism at college. My whole life is wrapped around journalism and this website so I hope you enjoy! Thanks :)
$3000
$5000

$3000
$5000

• K

Khalid AhmedNov 19, 2015 at 9:40 am

Sad to hear that a good friend and person in general has to go through this.

• G

Gary GloverOct 13, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Never give up Mady . I’m sending up prayers for you .