Legacy Grad Noah Syndergaard Starts Game 3 of World Series

Photo by Howard Simmons/New York Daily News
Noah Syndergaard starts game 3 of the World Series

When Noah Syndergaard played for Legacy, he pitched for about 100 fans on Friday nights. Now, wearing number 34 as a starting pitcher for the New York Mets, Syndergaard will start game three of the World Series, pitching in front of over 45,000 fans and being televised on Fox Sports networks.

Syndergaard graduated from Legacy in 2010 and was drafted to the MLB by the Toronto Blue Jays. He was later traded to the New York Mets on Dec. 17, 2012.

Noah Syndergaard
Noah Syndergaard’s Senior picture (2010).

Teachers, who taught Syndergaard, remember all he did in class. His sophomore year geometry teacher, Ms. Julie Gross, remembers just how great of a student he was. From his grades to his attitude, she enjoyed having him in class with her.

“He was very attentive, and very dedicated to class,” Ms. Gross said. “He sat in the front, and he participated.”

Syndergaard1_web
Noah Syndergaard catches a ball at the pitchers mound.

Ms. Gross attended the games that Syndergaard pitched at Legacy. She remembers a specific game that Noah pitched and MLB scouts attended the game. They watched in their official jackets sporting their team name, and carried a radar gun. Ms. Gross said the scouts stayed the entire game, clocking Noah’s pitching speed during the game.

“I remember calling my husband and telling him that all these teams are here scouting Noah,” Ms. Gross said. “We knew for sure that going from his junior to his senior year that he was pretty special.”

Syndergaard’s former high school head coach, John Bimmerle, remembers how much of a positive influence he was on the team. Syndergaard, being extremely disciplined and well mannered, made him a person you want to be around. Although he never had him as a student, having him on the field was an honor to Bimmerle.

“I couldn’t say anything bad about Noah as a person,” Coach Bimmerle said. “Noah was easily the most talented kid I have coached.”

Noah Syndergaard stands tall amongst his high school teammates.

Pitching a 100 plus m.p.h. fastball, Syndergaard managed to make an impact in baseball. However, his fastball isn’t the only thing that helped him get where he is now. Bimmerle remembers listening to a TV sportscast, where the commentators referred to Syndergaard as a sponge. This did not surprise Bimmerle in anyway, he knows Syndergaard is where he is today not only because of his talent, but because of his intelligence and desire for the game of baseball.

“He is getting to do something right now that very few people can do,” Coach Bimmerle said.

Seeing a former player advance to the World Series makes Bimmerle proud. Although, the Chicago Cubs are Bimmerle’s favorite team, he couldn’t be more excited to see what Syndergaard will achieve on his journey.

Noah Syndergaard
Noah Syndergaard poses for individual team pictures.

“All I can say to him at this point, is to enjoy the ride,” Coach Bimmerle said. “He needs to savor this moment and ensure when he looks back, on what should be a long and rewarding career, that he did things the right way, and for that I can say I am very proud of him.”

The Mets, National League Champions, advanced to the World Series against the Kansas City Royals after defeating the Chicago Cubs for the National League Pennant.  

For more information regarding the World Series and Noah Syndergaard visit WFAA and the New York Daily News.