Volleyball Advances to Quarter Finals

Faces Summit in the Next Round
Varsity+Volleyball+plays+Summit+on+Tue.+Nov.+10+at+7+p.m.+at+Mansfield+High+School.+
Photo by Brandon Bosecker
Varsity Volleyball plays Summit on Tue. Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. at Mansfield High School.

[Updated 11/10/15] After defeating Sulphur Springs in a 3-1 victory, varsity Volleyball moves on to face Summit High School on Nov. 10 at Mansfield High School. Senior Shelby Stewart hopes that her team will be able to put their best foot forward and play as well as they can.

“I feel confident,” Stewart said. “I think we’re more excited.”

Some of the players are apprehensive because of the team’s previous losses against Summit’s varsity players. However, after studying film, the team feels ready for the upcoming game.

“We’re ready to perform with more heart in this game than the past two times,” Stewart said. “And we’re pretty much out for blood.”

Varsity volleyball plays Summit on Tue. Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. at Mansfield High School.

[11/5/15]

Hearing the boisterous chants from the stands, senior Bethany Ross prepares for the next ball to fly over the net. Waiting and watching, Ross strategically spikes the volleyball to the opposing side. The ball drops to the ground and as the Broncos score a point, the fans roar with excitement.

After defeating Dallas Molina, the varsity volleyball team advances to round two against Sulphur Springs. After reaching the third round in the previous season, expectations are high, especially for Ross, with this being her final season as a Bronco.

“Every game we play is a privilege,” Ross said. “You never know when the season will end, so you play every ball like it’s your last.”

Going into playoffs, mentality changes for the players. A sense of urgency rushes through them, causing them to get the ball up more diligently. Since teams are tougher, perfection is key to the Broncos. Making playoffs is not the only expectation that head coach Amanda Shingleton has for the team. Shingleton looks forward to advancing deep into playoffs and surpassing previous seasons.

“If they work hard, play hard, communicate and have fun, they can accomplish what they set forth to do,” Coach Shingleton said.

Senior and outside hitter Ta’Lyn Moody expects the fans to be loud and intense during playoff season. After coming back from a season off last year, Moody appreciates her welcoming team and focuses on being a productive aspect for them.

“The most exciting thing is honestly being able to end someone else’s volleyball season,” Moody said. “I know it sounds mean, but I love how everyone on the team works together to win.”

With the season on the line, every point matters. The team resorts to all measures and they do anything they have to in order to keep the ball in play.

“I feel like everything is more important,” Ross said. “We are more relentless to get the ball up and to get everyone on the same page.”

Fans coming to the games make a big impact on the team. Sophomore Janell Fitezgerald says that the team feeds off the energy of the crowd. The last few points of the game are Fitezgerald’s favorite part of playoffs because the fans are out of control, cheering. With not much season time left, Fitezgerald realizes what her team really means to her.

“I love them to the moon and back, they have helped me through everything,” Fitezgerald said.  “I have no idea what I’d do without them.”

Ross takes pride in being the loudest on the court and adding spirit to the team, even when she’s off the court.

“I expect us to communicate every point,” Ross said. “We put so much hard work in and it’s now paying off.”