Holland Wright

Holland Wright remembers the early days of Legacy.
Photo by Dalton Mix
A young Holland Wright sports Legacy face paint and a shirt that reads "My Dad Rocks."
A young Holland Wright sports Legacy face paint and a shirt that reads “My Dad Rocks.”

Two small children run around a big school with nothing but time to play hide and go seek. The little girl would hear her friend counting and hurry to find a room that was unlocked. “Ready or not here I come!”

“I remember when [Legacy] was first built and I would play around with Mrs. Schimming’s son,” freshman Holland Wright said. “We would run around the hallways and hide in different rooms.”

After the school was finally built, faculty members explored the school seeing all of the classrooms, gyms and cafeteria. Holland and her parents spent time walking through the school but Holland remembers seeing the gym for the first time.

“The gym was really cool,” Wright said. “I remember running onto the floor and running around and playing on it.”

When the school opened, Holland and her dad attended the football games. They would spend the game on the field up close and personal with the players or in Holland’s case, Bucky the Bronco.

“I remember being on the field with my dad and always asking him who the mascot was,” Wright said. “I would see the mascot and thought it was so cool.”

Wright spent her young years running around Legacy High School before it was even named in 2006 and 2007. Now a teenager, Holland spends her time learning in the school. Her father, Mr. David Wright, at the time was the principal for Legacy and played a huge part in making decisions regarding the school during its two year construction. Mr. Wright left the principal’s position at Legacy for the Director of Student Services for MISD.

“My dad on the first day of school was excited,” Wright said. “I think he is happy because he gets to reconnect with his old staff.”

Wright, so far, has enjoyed her time. She always tries to be on her best behavior in class since her father was the principal at one time.

“It’s a little awkward because I have to be on my best behavior because all of the teachers knew my dad and so it’s really awkward,” Wright said.

Although the teachers remember Wright as the little girl she was, Holland doesn’t think of Legacy as the same place. The once huge school doesn’t seem so big now. She remembers it as the place where she used to run around and play. Now she goes to classes in the same rooms she once hid in.

“When I was little, I played here, but now I go to school here,” Wright said. “It’s different.”

Anna Jordan
Anna Jordan, Staff Writer
Hey I'm Anna Jordan and I am going to keep this short and sweet just like me. I am a senior and have been apart of the Newspaper department for three years.
Dalton Mix
Dalton Mix, The Rider Photo Editor
Hi, my name is Dalton Mix. I am the newspaper photo editor for The Rider Online.I like movies and music.
$3000
$5000

$3000
$5000

• M

Matthew AnkeleNov 20, 2015 at 3:25 pm

kool

• K

Kristen BoseckerNov 19, 2015 at 9:46 am

Aww Holland!!!! I loved your story <3

• Q

Qurea MaddenNov 19, 2015 at 9:46 am

This a wonderful instight into the life of Holland.

• K

kendall chathamNov 19, 2015 at 8:54 am

Wow Holland is soooo cool. Can I be her????