Madison Koceich

Madison Koceich swims during practice
Photo by Tapanga Perrin
Madison Koceich swims during practice

It’s a little after three in the afternoon. Most students are leaving school at this time, ready to eat, sleep and finish up homework. Junior Madison Koceich, however, is standing beside her teammates lined up against the natatorium wall, waiting for coach to dismiss her to get ready for the swim meet that same night.

Q: How long have you been in swim?
A: I started swimming on the MAC club swim team in 5th grade until the end of 7th grade. I was also on the Jobe swim team in 7th grade. I didn’t do swim team 8th grade year, but I joined the team freshman year and have been swimming since.

Q: What is your favorite thing about being on the swim team? Why did you start swimming?
A: I think my favorite things about being on the swim team is making good friends, getting to cheer them on in meets, and watch my own times improve over the season. I started swimming because my mom kinda made me, but when I joined the high school team, I did it because it’s pretty much the only sport I’m good at and I kinda like working out. I’ve stayed on the swim team because I’ve made some really great friends and I’ve enjoyed swimming more than I did when I started.

Q: Why do you think no one acknowledges the swim team?
A: It’s kinda funny and a little frustrating that many people don’t even know we have a swim and dive team. I think we don’t get acknowledged much at school because most people love to watch sports like football and volleyball (which are great sports). Also, many people don’t come to watch swim meets because they don’t think it will be as exciting as another sport. I think it would be cool if maybe swim (and other lesser known sports) could be recognized in
pep rallies.

Q: Do you plan to continue swimming long term?
A: After high school, I don’t plan on swimming in college. To swim on a team in college, you have to be very fast. I’m not exactly the fastest person, and swimming isn’t going to be my career.

Q: How do you prepare for meets?
A: For meets, the preparation really starts everyday in practice. Like any other sport, you can’t just show up at competition and expect to do your best if you don’t practice your best. But to prepare the day of the meet, we warm up, practice our technique, and practice our starts. Usually by the time the meet has started, I’m pretty nervous, but I use that nervous energy and adrenaline to swim as fast as I can.

Q: Would you rather be in another sport?
A: As far as other sports go, I’m pretty sure I would do horribly. I don’t have the best hand-eye coordination either. It’s sort of a joke among some swimmers: whenever a ball or anything comes flying towards us, we usually try to swat it away rather than catch it. Also, I like swimming because we use and work out almost every muscle in our body, not just a certain set. So, no I wouldn’t want to do any other sport. l’d not be underrated.