12 Movies To See In 2016

The official movie poster for The 5th Wave, which hits theatres Jan. 22.

2016 will be the year of movies.  From sequels to your favorite childhood movies to that one superhero movie with the awesome plot, many long-awaited movies will be released to theaters this year. Take a look at this preview of movies to come this year.

The 5th Wave
One word. Aliens. Chloe Moretz stars as a 16 year-old girl trying to fend for herself in a world that has been ravished by waves of an alien invasion, killing the human population and taking over the earth. This movie will be released Jan. 22.

Kung Fu Panda 3
You can’t deny that you love Po. In this movie he faces two new challenges, one from the supernatural and one focused on his personal life. Follow him and all his wackiness on this adventure on January 29.

The Divergent Series: Allegiant
In the third movie of this series, Beatrice and Tobias, along with additional recruitments, visit the other side of the fence where officials from a mysterious agency take them into into protective custody. Catch this one in theatres on March 18.

Batman versus Superman: Dawn of Justice
The thought of these two superheroes going head to head gets all DC Comics nerds excited. Although Batman and Superman will ultimately have to put their differences aside and work together to defeat a new villain. March 25 can’t get any closer.

God’s Not Dead 2
This time around viewers follow the life of a high school teacher whose response to a question about Jesus starts a whirlwind of controversy. Have your cell phones prepared for more ‘God’s Not Dead’ texts by April 1.

The Jungle Book
This classic will return to the big screen. No promises of singing bears or peeling fruits with claws, this time they will bring the young orphan boy and the bear, a pack of wolves and a black panther to life. You can enter the jungle on April 15.

The Huntsman: Winter’s War
This sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman tells the story of Eric the Huntsman, played by Chris Hemsworth, after helping Snow White defeat the Evil Queen. A plus for all the romantics, a forbidden love story completes the plot. This one hits the movie screen on April 22.

Captain America: Civil War
After a public attack, world leaders start to consider how much restriction should be placed on humans with superpowers which starts a divide between Captain America and Ironman. This divide pins many other Marvel superheroes against each other, like Black Panther and Spider Man. This action will hit theatres on May 6.

X-Men: Apocalypse
This movie takes place in the 1980s following the timeline of X-Men Days of Futures’ Past. The movie shows Charles Xavier and his allies taking on the old threat of Oscar Isaac. The film will also reveal younger versions of many classic characters and new powers. It will be released on May 27.

Alice Through the Looking Glass
Incase X-Men does not satisfy your movie hunger, this movie, coming out on May 27, might just do it for you. Alice madness drives her to go back to Wonderland, although this time she struggles to save the Mad Hatter. We all get the gift of seeing the award winning Johnny Depp step back into one of his many characters, the Mad Hatter.

Finding Dory
Your inner child has most likely been waiting for this. In this sequel to Finding Nemo, Dory reunites with one of her relatives as Disney once again teaches viewers the importance of family. Relive a part of your childhood on June 17.

Star Trek Beyond
The plot of this film hasn’t been fully revealed, except that the crew of the Enterprise will delve deeper into space and encounter a new villain on the way. What more do you really need to know? Find out everything on July 22.

Kendra Washington
Kendra Washington, Sports Editor
My name is Kendra Washington. I am a senior with a love for Jesus, writing, singing, football and people. I'm the Sports Editor for TheRiderOnline.com and a manager for Bronco football.