Nathan Haslam

Nathan Haslam shares his experience with faith.
Photo by Emary Skoczlas

Then seventh grader, Nathan Haslam walks into Tate Springs Baptist Church, the only person in his family to have stepped foot in a church in many years. Haslam was invited by a friend and had accepted with the hope and expectation of free food. Although Haslam did not get food that evening, but he was introduced to something that would lead him to make the most important decision of his life. Now a sophomore, Haslam looks at the experience as a big moment for him.

“There was not free food,” Haslam said, “but there was free Jesus and some really cool people.”

The youngest in his family of seven, Haslam has three older sisters and one older brother. His oldest sibling has already graduated college, three of them are currently studying at Universities and one of his sisters attends school with him as a senior. Both of his parents have PHDs and have set the bar high for Haslam.

“They have really high expectations for me,” Haslam said. “I have to live up to my other siblings.”

Haslam accepted Christ into his life in February of 2013 after attending a church event. Soon following this major event in his life, Haslam was faced with a new trial. Haslam serves Christ alone in his large household. His parents were former Christians, but soon left their faith behind for other priorities when they started college.

“There’s absolutely nothing that can come between us and God’s love,” Haslam said. “I just go out into the world and say ‘Yeah I’m a Christian’ and I don’t really worry about what others think.”

Even though Haslam’s parents do not attend church, he finds fellowship in his youth group. He attends Tate Springs Baptist Church where he has been able to foster and grow his spiritual walk with other teens who are facing common trials that most Christian teens endure.

“My youth group is like a second family to me,” Haslam said. “They’re a lot of fun, but at the same time they’re really into Jesus and it just kinda creates an atmosphere that really supports me.”

Kendra Washington
Kendra Washington, Sports Editor
My name is Kendra Washington. I am a senior with a love for Jesus, writing, singing, football and people. I'm the Sports Editor for TheRiderOnline.com and a manager for Bronco football.
Emary Skoczlas
Emary Skoczlas, Social Media Director
My name is Emary(: FMOT: @skoczlas_
$3000
$5000