Advisory Changes Implemented to Encourage Attendance

Mrs. Gross

Ms. Gross teaches PAP Algebra 2.
Photo by Aisha DeBurr
Ms. Gross teaches PAP Algebra 2.

Week after week, math teacher Ms. Julie Gross persistently approached former Principal David Wright, to remind him of her exceptional interest in a teaching career at the new Legacy High School.

In the process of Mr. David Wright creating his employee list, Ms. Gross continued to ensure that her name was on it. When Legacy opened in 2007, so did Ms. Gross’s new teaching career as a math teacher.

“I had to work really hard to convince him that I would be a good employee. I would be face to face with him so he wouldn’t forget me,” Ms. Gross said. “I told him that I would be very loyal, I would stay around, and I am still here.”

Along with Ms. Gross, Ms. Sara Kamphaus and Ms. Shelly Burkett remain as the three original math teachers from 2007, as well as other Legacy pioneers such as Jennifer Roberts, Michelle Fagan, Michelle Hurst, Marchie Murdock and some others.

“The camaraderie of the teachers is the best thing about Legacy,” Ms. Gross said. “They are respectful and they love working together.”

Ms. Gross originally taught regular geometry, algebra and algebra II, then eventually acquired the role of teaching PAP algebra II in a Legacy meeting.

“When there was an opening for PAP Algebra II, I stepped up to the plate and said I would teach it,” Ms. Gross said.

In order to teach PAP algebra II, Ms. Gross had to complete Gifted and Talented training or G/T. The G/T program allowed Ms. Gross and other teachers to teach pre-advanced placement and advanced placement courses on the high school curriculum. With the sophisticated courses’ rigor, particularly advanced students elected to take these classes.

“I love it, so I call it the ‘sweet spot’,” Ms. Gross said. “I like the group of kids in my PAP Algebra II classes, because they work hard and are on the higher math track.”

The advanced math students allow Ms. Gross and fellow teachers to teach at a higher level and more in depth to students who are willing to step up to the plate.

“I think we have a great student body,” Ms. Gross said. “It makes my job easier by working with people that want to be here,” Ms. Gross said.

As a former programmer and data analyst, Ms. Gross noticed the difference between the corporate and education world.

“I learned that good teaching is hard for most people when you have longer than an eight hour day,” Ms. Gross said. “Not only do you have to teach all day, you have to do lesson plans and grading at home.”

Ms. Gross believes achieving the best for the kids requires writing good lesson plans, teaching them well, and getting grading done in a reasonable time.

“I’m very pro-college,” Ms. Gross said. “I think all students should go even if their parents didn’t, or at least have more of an education.”

Going into her ninth year teaching, Ms. Gross discovered that she can retire in 2024.

“I hope that I can retire from Legacy which means my whole teaching career would have been here at Legacy High School,” Ms. Gross said.

Phillip Smith
Phillip Smith, Sports Editor
Hi, my name is Phillip Smith and I'm the Sports Editor for The Rider Online. I have been in journalism for three years, I'm on varsity basketball, and my favorite player was Kobe.
Aisha DeBurr
Aisha DeBurr, The Arena Photo Editor
Hello! My name is Aisha DeBurr, the last name's French. I like to cheer, watch tv, and take pictures. Anyways, that's me, okay, bye.