A Bittersweet Ending

Kendra Washington discusses the pros and cons on becoming a senior and watching others graduate.
Photo by Maddy Brown

The fragile silence of the hallways in Eaton high school shatters as Silver Elite comes out of the auditorium chanting and laughing. We’ve just won third place at the Academy Classic show choir competition, officially ending our long competition season. We enter the dressing room as we say tearful goodbyes to all our friends from show choirs all across Texas. We’ve spent a countless amount of time with them these past two months and now we won’t see them until next February.  

That moment seemed to be years away when we were learning choreography the week before school in the overheated choir room, making terrible jokes about our show. Going home right after school on Tuesdays will be so weird. I have our choreography and all of my harmonies written in my memory with pen and now there will be no use for them. I get to hang up my costumes in the back of my closet with the others from the other three competition seasons I’ve had.

We’ve been through a lot this season – from three pairs of ripped pants to setting up and taking down band equipment in under five minutes and changing costumes in under thirty seconds. We’ve lost some people and had to change our spots and choreography the day before big competitions. We’ve traveled about 351 miles and spent about ten hours together on buses.     

Now we’ve already hit the ground running, preparing for our spring show and it has become evident that our time with our seven seniors will soon come to an end. Soon we’ll be performing with them for the very last time. Personally it has made me realize that as a junior, I’ll have big shoes to fill. It’ll be my job next year to encourage others to join, help clean choreography and know my section’s notes so well that I’m able to teach them. I’ll have to have a positive attitude even when we have terrible rehearsals and be able to problem solve without our director.

As someone who has been in show choir since seventh grade, I’m aware of how much the underclassmen will look up to me and how easily I can be admired or hated as a leader. I have to set an example for the classes behind me and continue the legacy from the leaders before me. I’m also aware that I am nearing my last year as well. I’ll only have two more crazy competition seasons as a member of this amazing show choir and I plan to make the very best of them.

Kendra Washington
Kendra Washington, Sports Editor
My name is Kendra Washington. I am a senior with a love for Jesus, writing, singing, football and people. I'm the Sports Editor for TheRiderOnline.com and a manager for Bronco football.
Maddy Brown
Maddy Brown, Photo Editor
TAMU '20