6 Stumbled-Upon Songs

A still from Extra Gums commercial, titled The Story of Sarah & Juan, which features a song sung by Haley Reinhart.
A still from Extra Gum’s commercial, titled The Story of Sarah & Juan, which features a song sung by Haley Reinhart.

Songs from commercials can be wonderful finds for so many reasons. For starters, they always have an uplifting rhythm. Any creative or sound director at an advertising firm who wants to sell something won’t pick a sad tune to advertise it. Secondly, they all harbor a catchy tune. A commercial demands to be remembered, so any song paired with one, should be hard to get out of your head.

Song: Can’t Help Falling In Love by Haley Reinhart
Commercial: Extra Gum – The Story of Sarah and Juan
Reinhart got her start from American Idol but something about the pairing of this song with the storyline in the commercial makes it hard to forget. Not only were people talking about the pathos and the cute proposal in the commercial, but everyone wanted to know the song that was in it. Not to mention, if I played the song for anyone after that, most of them recognized it from the commercial. Reinhart’s version of the song makes it sound even more peaceful and innocent.

Song: Overwhelmed by Tim McMorris
Commercial: Samuel Adams
This one has not been as popular but I randomly caught myself singing this in my car weeks before I knew that it existed. My subconscious had apparently found the song from this commercial that had probably played in the background of somewhere I had been. Eventually I heard the commercial coming from another room and scrambled there to Shazam it. I love this song because McMorris has an extremely unique voice and the song itself sounds so pure and simple. The lyrics don’t sound flowery or like a riddle, but rather like a normal sentence. Very beautiful.

Song: Higher Love by Lilly & Steve Winwood
Commercial: Hershey – My Dad
This song fit this commercial so perfectly, I don’t think anyone could have found a better one. I love that Steve sings this rendition with his daughter because it parallels the commercial’s theme about a father-daughter bond. The commercial even uses the lyrics to compare Hershey to a “higher power” that can bring everyone together. Even without the commercial, the song itself has always been a classic and because everyone already knows it, it makes it much easier to get into a new version.  

Song: Day to Feel Alive by Jake Reese
Commercial: Ameriprise Financial
This song screams adventure to me, I just want to plug in my headphones and take a hike in the mountains. This tune reminds me of a “feel good” song that makes you appreciate everything around you. Overall this song feels very enthusiastic and cheerful, which makes this commercial song so wonderful.

Song: 5 Years Time by Noah and the Whale
Commercial: Volkswagen – Wagen Romance
Before I get any further into the description of this one, if you don’t want to be whistling this all day, skip the first 23 seconds of the song. The adorable lyrics mirror the beginnings of a romance, like the couple in the commercial. Much like the Tim McMorris song I mentioned earlier, this song radiates innocence and simple emotion. The background really uncommon and whimsical instruments add a new feel to the song, making it childish, yet keeping it mature at the same time.

Song: Heartbeats by Jose Gonzales
Commercial: Sony Bravia
The instrumental in this song sounds different from most others featured in commercials, it has an acoustic feel and harbors an almost mournful sound. Somehow, it works with the video to not seem as sad. The song has a rather singer-songwriter-like tune that makes it feel sentimental and comforting. Watching thousands of bouncy balls bounce down the street seems like an odd visual, however, it turns out to be so mesmerizing and fixating.