Dr. Stephan Shardy

Dr. Stephan Shardy teaches in his last year at Legacy.
Photo by Maddy Brown

Dr. Stephan Shardy grips his red pen tight and marks out another few answers on the worksheet; he counts up how many points to take off and writes the correct grade at the top. This isn’t the first time he’s done this, but he knows it’s nearing his last. On May 31, Dr. Shardy will retire from teaching.

“Without a doubt,” Dr. Shardy said, “teaching has always been a ‘calling’ rather than a profession or career.”

Dr. Shardy teaches math courses such as Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus and Statistics for eight years at Legacy, adding to a total of 31 full years of teaching.

“I always enjoy building relationships with my students,” Dr. Shardy said. “I chose teaching because it was the path I was supposed to walk.”

Dr. Shardy will soon retire, but not without a heavy heart.

“Aside from those hundreds of students who have crossed my classroom threshold, I will miss my colleagues,” Dr. Shardy said. “I have been blessed to be part of a cadre of those who also follow their ‘calling’.”

However, Dr. Shardy doesn’t plan on quitting anything else in his life and plans on relaxing and building for the foreseeable future.

“I have some building projects around the house, and I will keep busy with ministry and Bible teaching,” Dr. Shardy said. “Who knows? Maybe I will go on the professional speaking tour and share some of my experiences with various audiences.”

Ava Green, Staff Writer
My full name is Ava Noel Green, but everyone just calls me Ava. I'm a junior this year, and its my third year playing clarinet in the marching band and second year writing in newspaper. I love healthy food, chocolate, and all animals, but none more than elephants. I also really enjoy instant photography. I'm looking forward to writing and sharing this year!
Maddy Brown, Photo Editor
TAMU '20
$3000
$5000