Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond

Maddison Kirby

Maddison Kirby, (right), 10, dances in dance two class.
Photo by Dalton Mix

As sophomore Maddison Kirby practices her turns over and over again, wanting to execute them perfectly right, she thinks about all the times she came after school to practice dancing for hours.

“I really liked dancing and the stuff we did in dance class,” Kirby said. “Then I started coming after school because I wanted to get better.”

Kirby started dance classes her freshman year and became a varsity manager for the drill team during the second semester of her freshman year. Kirby was going to tryout for drill team for her sophomore year but missed the deadline.

“After being offered a varsity manager position second semester and seeing everything they were doing, I knew I wanted to be on the team,” Kirby said.

Kirby doesn’t have as much experience as some of the dancers on the team, but that doesn’t stop her from pursuing her passion

“I’ve always wanted to inspire someone to start dancing and make them work hard,” Kirby said.
“All I can say is: keep working, and practice. You have to go home and practice the right form. Another thing is to be coachable. If someone is giving you correction, just listen to it.”

Kirby currently participates in a Dance Two class and will be on drill team her junior year. She loves dancing and wants to continue it. She hopes drill team will teach her new skills.

“The way I feel when I’m dancing is like nothing bad is going to happen, everything going on in my life completely stops and then I start dancing,” Kirby said. “On drill team, I hope to receive better leadership skills and to improve myself as a dancer.”

Katherine Powell
Katherine Powell, Entertainment Editor
Hi, I am the entertainment editor for The Rider Online. Follow me on twitter @kgpowell99
Dalton Mix
Dalton Mix, The Rider Photo Editor
Hi, my name is Dalton Mix. I am the newspaper photo editor for The Rider Online.I like movies and music.