Lessons I Learned in High School

Students walk to their next class.
Photo by Jada Succes
Students walk to their next class.

In the midst of figuring yourself out in high school, don’t forget to take care of yourself, so keep the things listed below in mind.

Take the classes YOU want to take
Since kindergarten I have been labeled as a “Gifted and Talented” student. I was encouraged to take all the pre-AP and AP classes I could through my 13 years of public school. Halfway through high school I had the revelation you can decide the classes you want to take. I simply wasn’t up for the challenge of AP classes and dropped to regular classes — best decision of my high school career. If you struggle with AP classes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with switching to regular classes.

Make time for yourself
I can’t stress this enough. As fun as it is to go out with friends every night and go to all the games, you have to find time for yourself. Whether it be your room or the park, find a place you feel comfortable and spend time there. Reflect on your life and clear your head. For me, it was a place down Highway 287 with almost no traffic where I could go and spend a couple hours just thinking about life. It is extremely refreshing and gives yourself a sense of independence, which teenagers love anyways.

Do what makes you happy
If your friends want to go out but you really want to finish that new book that just came out, by all means, finish that book. Or if you’re in the lunch line and you see that apple cobbler sitting on the counter and you worry what people will think if you take it, just take it. Whatever makes you happy, just do it.

Focus on yourself
Chasing after the boy or girl of your dreams is something every high school student has done. Relationships happen, sometimes when you don’t even expect it. Just remember you go to school to get a diploma, not to meet your future spouse. Use your time to focus on the things that matter.

Make decisions for yourself, but don’t necessarily make them all by yourself
Always do what is in your best interest and consult others to help you make the decision. The people around you sometimes know things about yourself that you don’t know. They can help you decide what’s best for you. Just don’t let them rule you. Rule yourself.

Get a job
Besides making some extra cash you can use to fund whatever you desire, jobs help teach life lessons. As I outlined in my column, jobs aren’t always easy. I nearly lost my job until I started working harder. Some of the things I’ve learned at my job have given me skills and character traits I’ll have forever.

Try new things
If you’re walking in the hall and see a flyer for a new club and you’re thinking about joining, just go for it. Or if you’ve never played a sport before and want to give it a try, why not give it a try? You’ll never know if you’re good or bad at something until you’ve tried.

Hang out with the people that make you feel good about yourself
There is absolutely nothing more destructive than having bad influences around you. If someone in your life affects you in a negative way, get rid of them. In the end, your success and future is much more important than what people think about you.

Be nice to your teachers and administration
Even if you don’t like your teachers or the class they teach, be nice to them. Teachers can help you with bumping a 68 to a 70 so you can stay eligible for your sport or a 89 to a 90 so you can keep your parents happy with straight A’s.

Ben Townsend, News Editor
I'm the News Editor so yeah. Enjoy the news. Go team.
Jada Succes, Photographer
My name is Jada Succes, I like photography and cats. I take pictures of my cats all the time. Although I mostly snap pictures for the newspaper written by talented young adults, and the wonderfully student ran yearbook. I'm so proud to have spent three years of high school in the amazing student media program. GO BRONCOS!