Tennis Starts Strong Despite Low Numbers

Josh Hogue, 12, hits a forehand while warming up for one of his varsity tennis matches.
Photo by Megan Bell

As senior Joshua Hogue takes the court, he takes a deep breath and fidgets with the tennis ball in his hands before he serves to his opponent.

Legacy varsity tennis has won five games and lost three with their most recent win against Timberview on Sept. 13.

“We have gotten off to a really good start,” Hogue said. “We’ve come across some really tough teams, new ones like Rockwall. Overall I think we are doing well.”

Hogue was pulled up to varsity in the middle of sophomore year.

“It was really hard getting to varsity,” Hogue said. “There were many good seniors in front of me, but after they graduated, I was well prepared.”

Coach Dozier will serve his third year as head coach for Legacy tennis. Last year the varsity tennis team went 6-2 in district and have hopes to play really well this season.

“With the district realignments that took effect this year, there are some unknowns,” Coach Dozier said. “I believe we have a solid chance to make it to regionals this year.”

“Team tennis differs from other team sports like football or basketball because each player competes individually,” Dozier said. “Therefore, it can be more nerve racking than sports in which you compete as a team.”

“Allowing the athletes to work out some issues on their own is part of the learning process,” Dozier said. “This can be stressful, so I do my best to stay relaxed.”

Because the tennis team operates under a small number of students, most of the members play for the varsity team like freshman Mia Retnam. She joined joined the tennis program this year and made JV and varsity

“I’m proud to make varsity,” Retnam said. “Varsity matches are more serious than the JV matches, and so that is different.”

Varsity tennis will have a match again on Sept. 20 against Waxahachie at Waxahachie High School.

Lauren Hargrove
Lauren Hargrove, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
My name is Lauren Hargrove and I'm Editor in Chief of TheRiderOnline.com. I enjoy football games, dogs and hanging out with friends. I'm sarcastic and sassy and honestly, I'm here for the food and to write I guess.
Abby Belea
Abby Belea, Photographer
I like pizza and taking photos
Megan Bell
Megan Bell, The Rider Photo Editor
Hi I'm Megan Bell!
I am the Photo Editor for The Rider Online so I edit all the pictures you see on this site! I am a senior this year and I'm planning to major in journalism at college. My whole life is wrapped around journalism and this website so I hope you enjoy! Thanks :)