Randy Wright: More Than Just A Game

Junior Randy Wright (number 16) shakes the hands of students at the end of a game.
Photo by Mia Trahan

Junior Randy Wright listens to the booming roar of the crowd as he crosses the goal line, scoring his first touchdown on varsity this season. He high fives his teammates and looks at the crowd, realizing how much effort he’s put in to achieve his goal.

“Being on varsity as a junior has given me the opportunity to get better and prepare for my season as a senior,” Wright said. “My coaches will expect improvements from me. I plan to lead the upcoming group of players and show other teams what we can do.”

Not knowing the sport, Wright gave it his best effort and unexpectedly fell in love with the game.

“My dad told me I had to toughen up, so he signed me up for football,” Wright said. “I didn’t think I personally would be so into the game, but I’m glad I am.”

Wright started his season off as the starting wide receiver on junior varsity and progressively made his way to varsity. He loves scoring for the team to make his coaches proud.

“Crossing the goal line to make the touchdown is the best feeling in the world,” Wright said. “Every time I do score, I feel like I prove myself to everyone on the field and in the stands.”

Winning the last five games will give the broncos a good spot in the playoffs. Wright believes the Broncos will get far this season.

“As long as we play like we practice each week, that’s all that matters,” Wright said. “Our team has really made progress and it’s shown through our plays.”

Wright plans to attend any college that will allow him to play football his college years. He believes playing football in college will give him a chance to play football in the professional league.

“Playing football in college has always been a dream of mine,” Wright said. “Hopefully playing football in college will give me to opportunity to be recognized and eventually get drafted into the NFL.”

Although Wright may feel discouraged sometimes, he doesn’t give up. He believes his hard work will pay off in the future.

“This dream will not be achievable if you don’t work hard for it,” Wright said. “You’ve got to be able to believe in yourself even when no one else will. This sport is a grind and with that comes dedication and determination to succeed.”

Felicity Veliz, Newspaper
Felicity was put into journalism class by mistake...Twice. Never did she expect writing to change her life forever. She’s currently a senior at Legacy High School and plans to attend the Arizona State University next Fall. Felicity finds blogs the most interesting to write because it’s a way to connect with her audience. Because writing has always been a passion of hers, she hopes her writing makes an impact in your life, just like it has in hers.
Mia Trahan, Photographer
Staff Photographer | Senior? Life is to short to not do savage stuff-Angelo Dude.... I FREAKING LOVE PANCAKES Last but not least... I hate Chloe :)
$3000
$5000