5 Alternate Ways to Celebrate Thanksgiving

Photo by Legacy Student Media
Khalid Ahmed gives five new ways to celebrate this Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving. Just the very word brings thoughts of family, friends, dinner and turkey into one’s mind. It’s a time where we catch up with our family and watch football with people you love. However, it can feel a bit repetitive doing the same thing every year. With the holiday coming up on Thursday, Nov. 24, here are five things you can do to make your Thanksgiving different.

Go on Vacation
Now, this isn’t just a vacation to your relative’s house. Take an actual vacation. Visit a place you’ve never been to like Padre Island or stay in a cabin with your family. Branching out gives a different feel to Thanksgiving while still keeping the family atmosphere.

Have a family Picnic
Instead of staying home, go to the park with your family. This time of year usually features pretty nice weather, so why not have a picnic? Enjoy the warm temperatures, the nice environment for kids to play and the ability to be with your family outside of the home.

Relax
This time of year might be the busiest time for almost everyone. Whether you need to balance your focus on grades, spending time with your friends or balancing work, the season brings busy schedules. Just stay home and relax. Invite the whole family over to eat pizza, watch movies and be stress-free.

Have a Creative Feast
Thanksgiving traditionally involves having turkey for dinner, but you don’t have to gorge on it every year. Get creative. Have a barbecue with your family and others around the neighborhood.

Get ready for the holidays
Thanksgiving marks the beginning of the holiday season, so you can get a head start on gifting getting, decorating and planning. With Christmas about a month away from Thanksgiving, it may be better to start the early shopping.

Khalid Ahmed
Khalid Ahmed, Staff Writer
My name is Khalid Ahmed, and I'm a sophomore. I'm 15 years old and in newspaper. I was born with a heart condition known as truncus arteriosus. I've gone through five surgeries. Four of them were open heart, and the most recent one was through catheterization. I'm really big sports fan, too! I'm a Mavs Fan For Life, a Cowboy fan, Rangers fan, Stars fan, and an FC Dallas fan! One thing that most people don't know about me when they first meet me is that I'm a Muslim, and I'm proud to be one! Growing up, I was always teased about my religion and used that to mold who I am today. I want to prove to the world that Muslims aren't what mainstream media portrays them to be. Another big thing about me is that I'm arguably the biggest Dragon Ball Z fan that you might ever meet! I love watching it! It taught me to never give up and to break through my limits! Also, I love to watch/read romance stories which, I admit, isn't really what most guys my age are into, but, hey, that's who I am, and I'm proud of it!