Freshmen Boys Basketball Observation

Dondre Johnson, 9, pushes the ball down the court during a Freshmen A Boys game vs. Mesquite on Tuesday, December 6.
Photo by Kristen Bosecker

The freshmen boys basketball team trudge back in the gym and start warming up as the halftime seconds tick down. They’re behind by a few points to Arlington Martin, and from the looks of it, they won’t make a comeback. The scoreboard buzzes and players of both teams fill the court as the game resumes.

“Dondre, slow down and think,” a student yells at freshman Dondre Johnson as he hustles down the court to make a layup but comes up short of the basket.

A series of substitutions are made as the game goes on. The crowd gets more and more engaged in the game as the score starts to even out. Athletes on both teams start to play a bit rougher, resulting in a good number of fouls to being called on both teams.

Someone shouts from the stands as freshmen Andrew Smith successfully steals possession of the ball and sends it soaring through the air and into the net.

“Yes sir, Andrew.”

The Broncos took the lead and raced against the clock to keep it.

“Run the clock,” a fan screams from the stands as the time in the fourth quarter slowly but surely lessens on the scoreboard.

The Broncos keep the ball at half court and pass it to open players. Just as the game is about to end, Martin steals possession of the ball and gets it down the court in time for a last-minute two-point shot. The shot proves to be successful, but it makes no difference. As the final buzzer rings, the crowd roars. The Broncos have come back and won the game.

Kendra Washington
Kendra Washington, Sports Editor
My name is Kendra Washington. I am a senior with a love for Jesus, writing, singing, football and people. I'm the Sports Editor for TheRiderOnline.com and a manager for Bronco football.
Kristen Bosecker
Kristen Bosecker, Social Media Editor
My name is Kristen Bosecker and I am the Social Media Director. I pole vault and like to make people laugh. Follow me on twitter @thisismrskris