Album Review: Everybody Can’t Go by Benny the Butcher
All About the APs
All About the APs

5 Family Traditions

Five students explain their home traditions of the Christmas season.
Photo by Photo by Pixabay permission via Pexels

Each family has their own way of hosting Christmas, so check out the few we decided to share.

Madelyn Johnson, 12
“We hide this pickle ornament in the tree and whoever finds it gets a prize. My parents hide the ornament. It’s a stocking-type gift like a candy bar.”

Some people believe that this tradition started in Spain. The story tells of two boys who went into a shop on their way home from school, and the evil shopkeeper stuffed them into a pickle barrel to die. Though the boys died, St. Nicholas came into the store and used his magic to bring the boys back to life. Another theory tells the tale of a Bavarian soldier who fought in the Civil War. After the war, he sat as a prisoner in America. As a prisoner, he wasn’t fed and began to starve, so he begged the guard for food. Eventually, the guard gave in and offered the man a single pickle which revitalized him to live long enough to finish his sentence. After getting out, he started the tradition to show his gratitude.

Alecs De Vera, 12
“We all go to the street and everybody has [Parols]. It’s like this festival. [We go] to celebrate and to show the Three Wise Men.”

In the Philippines, the Feast of Three Kings starts on Dec. 16. The celebration continues through the first Sunday of January and holds the title of most widely-celebrated holiday in the country. Parols, star-shaped lanterns, represent the Star of Bethlehem and line the streets. Originally made from bamboo sticks and various types of paper and candles, they have become more elaborate with the addition of technological aspects such as lights, sounds or movements.

Christina Hurd, 9
“We light all of our prayer candles at 11:59 p.m. on Christmas Eve and let them burn all of Christmas Day.”

On Dec. 8, many Catholics reserve the day to respect Mary. They decorate the “Mary” candle with a blue veil, light it and have a feast. Some use the lit candle as a reminder of the expectation of Christ’s coming. Others use it as a reminder to show grace during the holiday season. The Jesus candle, when lit, symbolizes Christ on the Earth. It serves as a reminder for the awaiting of Christ’s death and resurrection. Some people also use the Jesus candle to represent the new generation and hope for a good future. After lighting the first two candles, the darkness grows smaller and smaller. The lighting of the God candle symbolizes all darkness leaving the earth with God.

Cassidy Regan, 12
“On Christmas Eve morning, the first one to get up and yell ‘Christmas Eve gift’ really loud gets to open a present. My dad’s family did it when he was little.”

This tradition began with Regan’s great-grandfather. The tradition has passed down with each new generation through her father’s side of the family. Now, it continues with Regan and her parents. The majority of the competition lies between her and her father, the two more competitive people of the household, but she generally wins. When she does so, she enjoys getting to open a gift on Christmas Eve and earning bragging rights for the day.

Leah Goodman, 12
“My family is half Polish. On Christmas Eve, we always eat kielbasa and blintzes. I don’t like either of them really, but blintzes are okay with some jam.”

Because of their heritage, Goodman and her family have made these meals for Christmas for as long as she can remember. Blintzes are a pancake-like food stuffed with cream cheese often served with fruit or jam. Kielbasa, a type of sausage that originates from Europe, can be prepared in a multitude of ways. Goodman and her family stick with the more traditional method of smoking them.

Ashley Bow, Personalities Editor
I am a section leader in band and an editor for this wonderful newspaper. I can't wait to have fun and make some new memories in my senior year!
Kathryn Pedroza, Editor-In-Chief
"Kathryn with a K is so much better than Kathryn with a C"- Anne of Green Gables. Anyway, my life can be summed up in three things: showtunes, books and Jesus. I can talk forever about them if you'll let me.