Best Sports Stadiums to Visit in DFW

Dallas has a vibrant collegiate and professional sports scene with teams spread across Dallas, Fort Worth and Arlington
Photo by Photo from Wikimedia Commons

The Dallas-Fort Worth area has many sports teams, both professional and collegiate alike. As an avid sports fan and connoisseur of sports stadiums across America, I’ve made it my goal to see almost all that the metroplex has to offer. Here are my personal favorite arenas and stadiums in DFW.

AT&T STADIUM
TEAMS IT HAS: Dallas Cowboys
CITY: Arlington, TX
AT&T Stadium, formerly Cowboys Stadium, is the newest pro stadium in DFW, and in its relatively short lifespan, it’s been host to some of the biggest sporting events in the world, including Super Bowl XLV, NCAA Men’s Basketball Final Four, Wrestlemania, NBA All Star Game and of course, the Dallas Cowboys. AT&T has some of the most high-tech facilities in the world, including a 160 foot video board that engulfs the field. Although the stadium itself is incredible, it definitely has two major flaws with its pricing and its parking. The Cowboys are currently the ONLY NFL team with no public transportation to its stadium which means you’ll be either paying upwards of $60 for a spot, parking somewhere else and taking an Uber or a Lyft or getting dropped off and walking aimlessly. Also, since the facility is still fairly new, nosebleed seat tickets for a Dallas Cowboys game can cost around $75. Luckily, there really isn’t a bad seat in the house due to the enormous Jumbotron. If money isn’t an issue and you’re willing to dish out the big bucks for tickets, parking and food, then you’ll notice just how incredible AT&T Stadium is.

AMERICAN AIRLINES CENTER
TEAMS THAT PLAY THERE: Dallas Stars & Dallas Mavericks
CITY: Dallas
The AAC hosts two of arguably the worst pro teams in the metroplex, but it might be the most fun you’ll have at a sporting event. Tickets are almost always cheap for both teams, but seeing a Stars game is something special. The rambunctious fans, the electric atmosphere and the young and promising team makes for the best sporting event you can go to in DFW. Not to mention, parking won’t be an issue when you go to the AAC. Either take the train to Victory Park or find a cheap parking spot, and you’re on your way. The arena is also one of the best places to see a concert outside of going to Deep Ellum and going to Trees or The Bomb Factory. It has the blessing of not being as big as AT&T Stadium which tends to have bad sound due to it being dispersed everywhere. All in all, American Airlines Center has cheap prices, great parking options, and the most fun you’ll have from any sporting event in the metroplex.

GLOBE LIFE PARK
TEAMS THAT PLAY THERE: Texas Rangers
CITY: Arlington, TX

You won’t find a more miserable stadium in DFW than Globe Life Park. I can give the Cowboys the benefit of the doubt for not having any championships in its seven year run but Globe Life has been open since 1994 with little to no success. The outcome on the field only adds insult to injury with the insane Texas heat plaguing every single game. While the stadium’s architecture intends to mimic the stadiums of the past with the many arches and pillars, they missed a crucial part of modern technology: the roof. Not to mention, the lack of parking at AT&T Stadium is the same at the ballpark. As someone who has visited many famous baseball stadiums like Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park, this field represents what the Rangers have really always been: mediocre, underwhelming and full of missed opportunities. Luckily, the city of Arlington and the Texas Rangers are planning on opening a brand new ballpark in 2020 that’ll hopefully fix all of these issues. If you do happen to go to a game, you’ll be treated to a family-friendly atmosphere and the best food offered at any stadium in the metroplex. Just make sure you go to a game in either April, May or September, so you don’t die of heat exhaustion

AMON G. CARTER STADIUM
TEAMS THAT PLAY THERE: TCU Horned Frogs Football
CITY: Fort Worth
TCU recently acquired a new football stadium in 2011, right in time for the team’s resurgence as one of the best teams in the country. Luckily for the Horned Frogs, the stadium is great. The crowd always stays lively in part to the team’s success. Like most college football stadiums, the seats are mainly bleachers, so that could be a deal breaker to some fans. Despite that, you’ll always see a great matchup, as TCU plays teams like Texas, OU and Baylor every season. Be prepared to pay a pretty penny to see a prolific school like Texas which is usually the case for college football stadiums. Add good food on top of that, and you have the best college football experience in DFW.

GERALD J. FORD STADIUM
TEAMS THAT PLAY THERE: SMU Mustangs Football
CITY: Dallas
Alright listen, you’re only going to an SMU game for one of four reasons: tickets are $5, you went to/have family who went to SMU, you’re watching them play a better team like TCU or Texas A&M or you’re trying to go see as many stadiums in the Metroplex as possible. That being said, Gerald J. Ford isn’t too bad. The college town around it and the live pony for a mascot makes for an exciting time. The stadium almost makes up for the terrible football team they have.

Grant Baker, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
I'm Grant Baker and I write for this website. I love serving God, watching football and listening to 2000s southern hip hop. Maybe not all of those at the same time. I don't know. Okay you know how hard it is to write one of these things? Pretty hard.