Bryce Borcherding: Balance and Barbeque

At Spring Creek Barbeque, Bryce Borcherding, 12, brushes sauce onto ribs before rush hour. Borcherding works at block to cut customers orders as they come in.
Photo by Megan Bell
At Spring Creek Barbeque, Bryce Borcherding, 12, brushes sauce onto ribs before rush hour. Borcherding works at block to cut customers’ orders as they come in.

As the crowd rolls into Spring Creek on Sunday morning, senior Bryce Borcherding prepares to tend to the lunch rush that follows after church hours.

Borcherding has been working at Spring Creek in Mansfield for two years.

“I enjoy working there very much,” Borcherding said. “We have a lot of fun.”

Borcherding is not involved with any extracurricular activities at school but still has homework that he has to juggle as well as having a job. Working almost everyday of the week, Borcherding has to ask his boss to schedule him every other day, so he has time to get his homework done.

“It’s hard because sometimes I won’t get out of work until 11 or so,” Borcherding said. “It makes it hard to do my homework at night.”

Along with having less time for homework and activities students may be involved in, getting paid minimum wage is not reasonable if you are living on your own and going to school. Borcherding pays for his truck and insurance which results in not have much money left after these payments are made.

“Minimum wage isn’t enough for someone to live on their own,” Borcherding said. “I also pay for food and gas and it’s not easy to pay for all these things with just working at Spring Creek.”

Even though working while you are trying to juggle school, sports, band or other clubs can be stressful, it can be very rewarding. Learning how to balance your schedule early in life and staying organized will help you become a responsible adult.

“I believe having a job at a young age is important because it teaches responsibility faster,” Borcherding said. “It shows people how to manage things that are important.”

Lauren Hargrove
Lauren Hargrove, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
My name is Lauren Hargrove and I'm Editor in Chief of TheRiderOnline.com. I enjoy football games, dogs and hanging out with friends. I'm sarcastic and sassy and honestly, I'm here for the food and to write I guess.
Megan Bell
Megan Bell, The Rider Photo Editor
Hi I'm Megan Bell!
I am the Photo Editor for The Rider Online so I edit all the pictures you see on this site! I am a senior this year and I'm planning to major in journalism at college. My whole life is wrapped around journalism and this website so I hope you enjoy! Thanks :)