Spring Tennis In Full Swing

Zachary Carpenter, 10, returns the ball in a home tennis match.
Photo by Tori Greene

With the pop of a racket and a swoosh of a ball, junior Joshua Lopez slots home a near-perfect set. As he sits on the top of his throne, he dares not forget the coach and team that brought about his ascension. With that in mind, he picks up the racket and strides to victory as the Legacy tennis name sits proudly upon his chest.

This past November, Legacy Tennis reached the regional playoffs and Lopez went undefeated in doubles. While he believes such achievements are worthy of recognition, Coach Chad Dozier hopes to build upon these results by taking mixed, boys and girls doubles to regionals in spring.

“Lots of time of the court worked, and it will again,” Coach Dozier said. “The kids are pretty good at singles and not having injuries made it easier than usual.”

Such ambitions require a new round of hard work, something that Lopez embraces. After multiple sessions with his father and extra hours on the court after practice, Lopez climbed his way to the top of the tennis ranks. For Lopez, maintaining and improving upon that status adds another dynamic to the habitual life of an athlete.

“Practicing every day helps me get to the next step,” Lopez said. “Trying to stay at the top is the hardest thing in tennis for me.”

Lopez maintains that the spirit of the sport lies within the team and coach. During matches, he can expect a coach willing to step out and give advice. While in practice, he appreciates the welcoming environment provided by teammates.

“It’s entertaining during practices, and there’s always something funny that happens,” Lopez said. “It’s positive. We goof around and are supportive of each other.”

Equipped with the successes of the past and air-tight camaraderie, both feel that Legacy tennis has the capability to achieve glory this spring.

“They’re a great group of kids who love to have fun and work hard,” Coach Dozier said. “I thoroughly enjoy coaching them.”

Jose Cruz
Jose Cruz, The Arena Copy Editor, Staff Writer
Heyo, I'm Jose. I'm a staff writer for The Rider Online and I'm the Yearbook Copy Editor. I love to write and I love (good) music. I have a love/hate relationship with ranch and I can't wait to finally graduate.
Tori Greene
Tori Greene, The Arena Photo Editor
My name is Tori Greene, I'm a senior at Legacy and I'm the photo editor for The Arena.
$3000
$5000