Everything You Need to Know About the Solar Eclipse

Morning Devotional

Coach Burke leads a discussion in the weekly Future Christian Athletes  (FCA) meeting. Students meet in Coach Burkes room, I103, at 6:50 a.m. every Friday morning for devotional and donuts.
Photo by Dalton Mix
Coach Burke leads a discussion in the weekly Future Christian Athletes (FCA) meeting. Students meet in Coach Burke’s room, I103, at 6:50 a.m. every Friday morning for devotional and donuts.

Walking into Coach Tracy Burke’s computer lab room, I am met by immediate greetings from the members of Legacy’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA).

“C’mon, Stacks, you know you’re fat,” senior Malik Babaa said. “Come get a donut.”

As I ate the last sprinkles donut, the meeting began. Coach Burke sat at the front of a half circle of rolling chairs, which sat about seven faithful FCA members and his fellow sponsor, Coach Rachel Ryan.

“Why don’t one of y’all open us in a word of prayer,” Coach Burke said. “Malik?”

Babaa proceeded to pray and the meeting began. Coach Burke detailed the plans for the next semester and highlighted that he wants to bring back the tradition of hosting large FCA meetings in the gym. He also encouraged members to bring friends to the monthly Monday night meetings for food, games and Bible study.

“If they come for food, and hear a little bit of the Word, that’s great,” Coach Burke said. “Invite your friends, and bring someone along.”

Coach Burke then encouraged his athletes and told them that he wants some students to start sharing devotions during the meetings.

“When I do something like share, I just talk about what I’ve been reading in the word,” Coach Burke said.

After these announcements, Coach Burke began the devotional for the week from a book he read. He wrote three words up on the board and put verses beside them.

“I don’t want to get too technical about this. All three of these words are Hebrew words,” Coach Burke said. “How’s y’all’s Hebrew?”

“Yeah, it’s my sixth period [on] B days,” senior Joey Milburn joked.

The first word up on the board was YHVH, the Hebrew written version of Yahweh. I read Exodus 3:14-15 at his request where God told Moses “I am who I am.” Coach Burke explained that the Hebrews would not even speak or write the name of God because it was so holy.

“Who existed first, God or man?” Coach Burke asked. “God is first, we are second.”

The next word on the board was Shannah, Hebrew for second, or repeat.

“Are you going to repeat the last year, or are you going to change?” Coach Burke said. “You can’t know God and not change. The closer you get to him, the quicker you change.”

The third word on the board was IVRIM, a word that actually means the Hebrew people, but is also the Hebrew word for cross over. Coach Burke asked who had Joshua 3:14-17, the verses that chronicle God leading the Hebrews miraculously across the Jordan River.

“I does,” Babaa said and began to read.

In the middle of reading the verse, the announcements came on to play peaceful music for the EOC testers who were in the library. Babaa continued to read louder and finished the verse.

“And all Israel was passing over on dry ground until all the nation finished passing over the Jordan,” Babaa said.

“We are spiritual Hebrews,” Coach Burke said. “We have crossed over.”

Coach Burke ends the devotion with a donut analogy.

“I wonder if half the people in this world hunger for God like we hunger for those donuts,” Coach Burke said.

Coach Burke’s first period students began to trickle in, and he begins to wrap up the meeting. Senior Gracie Daniels prayed to end the meeting, and students walked into the halls, ready to share what they learned in the halls and classrooms.

FCA meetings are held at 6:50 a.m. on Friday mornings in Coach Burke’s room I103.

Jake Stacks, News Editor
Jesus. That's pretty much it.
Dalton Mix, The Rider Photo Editor
Hi, my name is Dalton Mix. I am the newspaper photo editor for The Rider Online.I like movies and music.
$3000
$5000