10 Places to Eat Lunch After School

10 great places for lunch near school
Photo by Dalton Mix
10 great places for lunch near school

Students often complain to administrators and teachers that all MISD schools are closed campuses. This means once a student arrives on campus they have to stay on campus for the entire day. Students are only permitted to leave campus for reasons such as course work at Ben Barber, TCC classes, special work/educational programs and early release for students.

Even though students are not permitted to go off campus during lunch, these are some of the best places students can go eat after school:

Whataburger
Taking the number one spot of places to get food after school would have to be the heart and soul of almost all Texans, Whataburger. Not only is Whataburger dearly loved by the citizens of Mansfield, but you can walk from campus after school without breaking a huge sweat, giving it yet another perk.

Chick-fil-A
The name that makes mouths everywhere water uncontrollably for juicy chicken nuggets. The only reason Chick-Fil-A comes soaring in for the number two spot is because Whataburger is closer. However, CFA is the blood type of most high school students which would explain why we crave it on Sundays when we can’t have it.

Canes
Although I personally would not eat here for a quick bite, Canes has been a crowd-pleaser since it opened. It’s close to campus, and you won’t spend a lot of time trying to pick something from the menu. In Mansfield, we like chicken. Can you blame us?

Sonic
The fourth spot on the after-school-eats list is America’s Drive-In. With 99 cent hamburgers and hotdogs, Sonic is a popular choice for broke teenagers. Also, who doesn’t love a Happy Hour stop after a long day’s work?

Panera
Besides spending $11 just to get mac-and-cheese and a drink, Panera consistently remains one of my go-to places for food. Just be ready to hand over all of your allowance money.

Chipotle
I don’t understand the hype associated with Chipotle. Maybe it’s because I’ve only gone once and threw up the next two days, so I never returned. However, my peers seem to believe Chipotle is the spiritual revival we’ve been waiting for, so I had to put it on the list.

In-N-Out
Holding the seventh spot on the list, Whataburger’s nemesis, In-N-Out. Anyone from the great state of California will tell you that In-N-Out can’t be beat. However, anyone from the better state of Texas will run you over with their horses.

McDonald’s
With cheap menu options and a close distance from Legacy, McDonald’s can’t be forgotten. You had me at 50 chicken nuggets for ten dollars.

Panda Express
Another restaurant that in close range to school, America’s favorite Chinese food for over 30 years. When you serve your meals with fortune cookies, how could one go wrong?

Golden Chick
Last but not least, Golden Chick. Ever since the closing of Chicken Express, students had to find another place to get mashed potatoes, sweet tea and biscuits. Golden Chick was discovered and loved.

Honorable mentions:

Chicken Express
Before the traumatic loss, Chicken Express upheld a spot in all of our hearts that can never be replaced. Due to numerous health violations, our dear friend closed early this year and left many high school students devastated. Rest in peace.

Dominos
Another honorable mention would have to be Dominos. Grab a couple of buds and all chip in a few dollars, you eventually have a halo of cheesy goodness.

Mellow Mushroom
If it didn’t take Mellow Mushroom so long to seat you, let alone make you a pizza, this would be my after school stop every day. I recommend almost everything from their appetizers to their desserts. Even though you will have to clear your schedule for the day, their food won’t disappoint.

Lauren Hargrove
Lauren Hargrove, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
My name is Lauren Hargrove and I'm Editor in Chief of TheRiderOnline.com. I enjoy football games, dogs and hanging out with friends. I'm sarcastic and sassy and honestly, I'm here for the food and to write I guess.
Dalton Mix
Dalton Mix, The Rider Photo Editor
Hi, my name is Dalton Mix. I am the newspaper photo editor for The Rider Online.I like movies and music.