Everything You Need to Know About the Solar Eclipse

Final Blog: Lexi Ellis

Final Blog: Lexi Ellis
Photo by Megan Bell

I wish I had another year left of high school.

I switched to Legacy halfway through sophomore year and knew no one. I felt like I was getting thrown into a tank of nearly boiling water. I’ll never forget my first full day. My first lunch at Legacy was on a Wednesday when they were selling cookies, so I walked up to a girl who was also getting cookies and told her it was my first day. She invited me to eat at her table. After introducing myself to these strangers who already knew each other, I excused myself to the bathroom to cry. I wanted to switch back to Pantego after my first week, but let me tell you, I’m glad I stayed.

Coming to Legacy was the best decision I’ve ever made. My life completely changed. There really is something for everyone here.

Coming to Legacy from a really small private school made me feel like I was in an actual high school. I feel like I didn’t get nearly enough time here because I love it so much. As lame as I sound right now, walking through the hallways still gives me a thrill. It’s much better than a sense of resentment or need to escape anyway. I think people should always try to appreciate where they are.

I feel like my high school experience was like a cheesy teen drama movie. I made it super fun for myself. I chose to enjoy it. It was genuinely a great time. In class, I had the option to stay on my phone, but I actively sought out fun things to do with friends. I actively sought out people to be friends with. I spent some time on my phone in class, but I spent more time talking to people. Being outgoing helped. I joined a lot of clubs and didn’t mind staying after school for them. I wasn’t afraid to put myself out there and truly be the person I am on the inside.

Even if that meant being loud, outspoken, and possibly even being labeled as weird, I don’t regret it. If I had one piece of advice for someone starting high school, I’d say don’t be afraid to be who you really are, be bold, sometimes it will embarrass you, and always make things fun for yourself. That doesn’t mean to take blow off classes. I took a bunch of AP classes and still had a blast. Make time for your friends/family, join clubs, get involved and put yourself out there. You can even make a club if you want.

It went by so fast. People always say they can’t wait until graduation, so good news: you won’t have to.

I was (and still am) terrified. I spent a lot of time crying when second semester hit. I didn’t wanna leave home. I didn’t wanna leave my friends (and dogs). Everything seems so great, why would I want it to end? I’ve always been someone who gets very attached to people and memories, so graduating and moving to college is going to be quite a transition, to say the least.
I saw some “inspirational quotes” about change on Pinterest and felt personally attacked by the fancy font whispering to me “let go of the past so you can grab on to the future.”

I guess learning to accept change is just a part of growing up. I’m still learning.

Lexi Ellis, Staff Writer
I am a Staff Writer for the Legacy newspaper, and I am also an officer in Legacy Key Club and NHS. email: [email protected]
Megan Bell, The Rider Photo Editor
Hi I'm Megan Bell!
I am the Photo Editor for The Rider Online so I edit all the pictures you see on this site! I am a senior this year and I'm planning to major in journalism at college. My whole life is wrapped around journalism and this website so I hope you enjoy! Thanks :)