LUCK Week Begins Early With Changes

LUCK Week, planned for Jan. 27 – Feb. 1,  honors the life of Kyra Olson who had Rhabdomyosarcoma (cancerous tumors of the muscles connecting to bones). Kyra was placed on hospice Dec. 21 and lost her battle Jan. 8.

“That gives us a whole new perspective. It’s turned into honoring her and her family,” StuCo sponsor Dena Schimming said. “We’ve just approached LUCK week completely different this year.”

Senior and Student Body President Connor Johns nominated Kyra as a LUCK Week candidate.

“Her story just really tugged on the heart strings of all the students,”  Mrs. Schimming said. “I think it had a lot to do with her age and that she had been in remission and then she relapsed.”

The goal for LUCK Week is to raise $15,000 to send her family on a Disney Cruise and help pay for medical and funeral expenses.

“Historically we’ve seen anytime we have a common goal here on campus people really like to rally behind it,” Mrs. Schimming said.“That is one thing she wanted for her family to do together, since she has passed away we still want to honor that wish.”

Johns first heard Kyra’s story when she was in remission.

“I still want to make LUCK Week great and honor her life and help out her family as their struggling through this hard time,” Johns said.

LUCK Week Events:

Friday Jan. 18 – Video Game Tournament at Legacy at 11:30 a.m.

Sunday Jan. 27 – Nighttime Glow Run at Rose Park at 7 p.m. [permission form]

Monday Jan. 28 – Pep Rally During Fourth block

Wednesday Jan. 30 – Teenagers in Tiaras in the Pac at 7 p.m.

Thursday Jan. 31 – Karaoke Night at Legacy at 6 p.m.

Friday Feb. 1 – Pep Rally during eighth block.

LUCK Week Dress-up Days:

Monday – Taylor Swift Day or Red Out

Tuesday – Bieber Fever or Purple Out

Wednesday – Pixie Hollow or Pink Out

Thursday – Superhero or Yellow Out

Friday – LUCK Week t-shirt or Lime Green Out

Dini Wyatt
Dini Wyatt, News Editor
Hi I’m Dini. Its pronounced Dinny. I’m the News Editor for The Rider. This is my senior year and I’m glad to be back on staff. Besides newspaper I am involved in theater. Theater is my life, I love it. I am an only child so the people in newspaper and theater are like brothers and sisters to me, I don’t know what I would do without them. I love to read. My favorite series is the Harry Potter series. I’m the biggest Harry Potter nerd ever. I’m ready for another amazing year. [email protected]
Caleb Jones
Caleb Jones, LBTV Staff
Hey guys. My name is Caleb Jones. I am in the LBTV staff this year. I do too many extracurricular activities and am always busy. I am the Senior Class President, captain of Bronco Brigade, member of Spanish Culture Club and do journalism on top of all of those. I am an Eagle Scout, lover of the Spanish language and techno guru. I love my job at Mansfield Paintball where I do media management. I want to go to a school in California, called Chapman University, to study film production, specifically post-production and editing. This is my first year that I’ve officially been the LBTV Director, but I pretty much was last year too because @ZachHutchison1 never did his job. * drops mic * [email protected]