A Guide to College Preparation

A Guide to College Preparation

The purple wall and the 32 college pennants welcome all students to the Legacy GO Center, along with a table containing brochures and booklets for about 25 different colleges. Behind the table, an informative whiteboard has “It’s Your Education GO Get It” and a miniature checklist written in different colors. Senior Jorge Garza takes a seat at one of the four computers with mentor Anna Duarte and starts filling out his FAFSA application.

“I knew a little bit about the transition into college life because my sister graduated last year,” Garza said. “There are so many small requirements that students need to meet in high school.”

Colleges expect and require students who wish to attend a college or university to earn high grades. Throughout the years of a student’s high school career, college representatives watch the grades of those interested in attending their school. Right from the start, students need to establish a high grade point average (GPA) and maintain it through their high school career.

“Grades are important to me because they determine my status on how smart I am,” freshman Keyona Thomas said.

Advanced classes provide fast paced challenging course work and give the students the chance to receive college credit if they pass the AP exam.

“I’m in AP classes because I like  how they push me harder to do better and puts me ahead of other students,” Thomas said. “I can also get credits faster and do college courses while in high school.”

Advanced placement courses can not only raise a student’s GPA, but can also give them a better opportunity to qualify for the scholarship of their choice. Students who pass the exam also get college credit for that class.

Scholarships are extremely important in the college process,” GO Center mentor Seth Ahmed said. “They allow students to go look at more expensive schools of their choice and help them pay for that school.”

Students can earn scholarships for sports, especially football and men’s basketball. Senior Harris Tafah earned a full ride scholarship to Navarro College for his football achievements. He will attend college there for a semester and then transfer to Oklahoma State.

“Grades are extremely important, even if your scholarship is for sports because you have to maintain a certain grade to keep it, ” Tafah said. “Anything bad can happen and people jump on you for it, so you have to maintain your hard work.”

Students should know what career they’re interested in, which will help to narrow down the list of ideal schools.  Of those schools, students must make sure they are financially able to attend those schools or that they qualify for scholarships.

“The GO Center mentors have helped me so much over the past few months,” Garza said. “I had no idea what I was doing until I finally went to their office and asked them for help.”

The GO Center, an overlooked place of service for students, can be located in the counselors office. The door opens parallel to the entrance of the counselors office, between the waiting chairs. Seth Ahmed, Alfredo Rosado, Anna Duarte or Briana Santana not only help students with college preparation, but

“It isn’t emphasized, but we do tutoring as well,” Ahmed said. “We will help with anything high school or college, and we will bust any college myths that students may be concerned about.”