Starting on a New Note: Zrust Leaves Legacy to Pursue Ph.D.

Zrust directs choral student  as they prepare for competition.
Zrust directs choral student as they prepare for competition.

Ice cream met the hands of the enthusiastic choir students who had just won third place at a competition at DBU just three days before then. The gleeful students exchanged jokes and laughter until Choir Director Adam Zrust brought their attention to a much more serious topic. This school year would be his last at Legacy.

Mr. Zrust plans on attending Florida State University and earn a Ph.D. with Choral Conducting Program. Once completed, Mr. Zrust can conduct collegiate or professional choirs. Florida State’s school of music has been teaching musicians for over 80 years and was one of the originators of the doctoral degree in music performance.

“It came as a really big shock,” sophomore Barrett Adix said. “I thought he was going to be there until I left high school, so I thought he was joking at first.”

Junior Michael Peterson admits that while they will miss Zrust, they are also happy for his future.

“There was more outspoken pride for him that he is taking a large step in his life,” Peterson said. “It sounds cliche, but he literally is leaving a legacy.”

Mr. Zrust joined Legacy as an assistant to then Director of Choirs Mrs. Owens when the school opened. The 2012-13 school year was his first as director.

“Seeing him and going to choir was the brightest part of my day, “ Peterson said. “It was great to see a teacher who is just as passionate as I am.”

During his time at Legacy, Zrust led the choir to win many awards including Best in Show, Best in Category and first place overall at the Duncan High School competition.

“It’s always hard to walk away, especially after you have had a very successful year,” Zrust said. “I couldn’t have asked for more. The kids were incredible.”