Baseball Advances to Regional Semi-Finals

After winning the Regional Quarter Final round of playoffs, the varsity baseball team celebrates. The team plays Prosper High School at DBU May 22, 23, 2014 in the next round of the playoffs.

As baseball playoffs hit full swing, the Broncos advanced to the Regional Semifinals against Prosper High School. Game one is on Thursday, May 22 at 7 p.m. at Dallas Baptist University, and game two is on Friday also at 7 p.m. If needed, there will be a game on Saturday at 4 p.m.

In the first round, the Broncos beat the Whitehouse Wildcats in two games to win the Bi-District Championship. In game one, the Broncos gained an early 3-0 lead, but they were quickly tied up because of the Wildcat offence. However, in the fourth inning, the Broncos managed to produce one more run and they eventually held on to win 4-3. Game two was similar, as the Wildcats took an early lead. Yet again, the Broncos rallied back to win 4-2.

“The first game of a series is always the toughest because both teams have no idea about how the other plays,” senior Cole Hearrean said. “I am proud of my teammates for playing great defense and staying into the game even though we went into extra innings.”

The Broncos were crowned the Area Champions when they defeated the McKinney North Bulldogs, 2-1 on Friday and 5-0 on Saturday. Friday night, the game went into extra innings, winning on a RBI single off the bat of Garrett Bell. The Broncos also had a great performance from pitcher Cole Hearrean, throwing 160 pitches through eight innings. Hearrean seemed to get stronger on the mound as the game went on.

“I am excited for this weekend because I know that Prosper is a very beatable team”, Hearrean said. “Hopefully we can play as good as we have been practicing over the week and we will be just fine.”

The Broncos defeated the Red Oak Hawks in the Regional Quarterfinals at Midlothian High School. In game one, the Broncos won 8-3 in a game that was close until the sixth inning, when senior Cole Hearrean hit a 3-run home run to put the Broncos ahead 6-3. The lead was added to with timely hitting by the bottom of the lineup. However, game two was even closer, with the game tied after the seventh inning. Neither the Broncos nor the Hawks could scratch a run, until the bottom of the 10th inning when the Hawks won on a walk off hit. Game three was another close game with the Broncos winning a tight game 1-0.