100 Happy Days

Photo by Sterling Greback
100 Happy Days photography challenge.

Sulking at home and complaining about a bad day seems to be much more common than racing home to brag about a good one. Bad situations seem to have much more power over the outcome of your day than good situations.

That’s the purpose of 100 Happy Days.

What is it?
100 Happy Days started as a social media movement that encouraged people to look for the good in their everyday lives and share one happy thing, every day, with the rest of the world via social media.

When 27 year old Dmitry Golubnichy, from Switzerland, first started the challenge it was all about himself.

“I believe that being happy is a choice and everyone can be happy just by appreciating little things in life one has, instead of engaging in the constant chase for ever rising internal & external expectations, which leaves no time for being happy,” Golubnichy told HLN.

How do I do this?
Once a day for 100 days in a row, take a picture of at least one good thing that happened during the course of your day. Upload it to any social media site i.e. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, etc.and hashtag it to #100HappyDays.

Why should I do it?
Reasons to attempt the challenge:

People that have completed the challenge have claimed to

• Notice the things that make them happy
  • Improve their mood
  • Receive more compliments
  • Realize how lucky they are to have their life
  • Become more optimistic
  • Fallen in love during the challenge

Reasons not to attempt the challenge:

• None.

Our staff at The Rider Online have a challenge for you: Find a reason to be happy for 100 days and complete the 100 Happy Days Challenge alongside us.

When you post your 100 Happy Days photos, don’t forget to use the hashtag #therideronline so we can add the photos to our gallery.

If you’re thinking:

• That’s impossible/ I don’t have time for this
  • The failed percentage is really high
  • I may not have something to post everyday
  • This is scary

29 percent of people actually did complete the challenge, which means:

• 29 percent of 750,000 people found it possible, and found the time.
  • A high completion rate, given the massive amount of people who have attempted.
  • That’s a poor excuse.
  • You might just find that your happiness lasts longer than 100 days.
  • Go forth and conquer.

My Experience:
100 Happy Days turned out to be even more eye opening than I originally expected. Taking pictures every day not only helped me look for good things in my day, but it made me realize that the outcome of your day depends entirely on you. Some days days it was rough, I won’t lie. However, what matters most isn’t what goes on during your day, your perspective on life and the attitude you have towards what happens is key.

After 100 straight days of searching for the highlight of my day, I realized that’s not the point. You can’t sit around and wait for something spectacular to happen, you have to be proactive. I have also learned that sometimes happiness comes from unexpected things. It doesn’t have to be something huge and dramatic but rather something like getting a milkshake after school or something your cat did that made you laugh.

You can look at a situation with the point of view that the whole world wants to put you down. You can go home and sit on your couch with a 16 ounce container of BlueBell Ice cream, but you’re still going to be in a bad mood. That ice cream can’t make you feel better about yourself and it doesn’t have the power to turn your day around.

There’s only one thing that can really make a difference in your day; you. If you focus on the good things that happen and if you work to make good things happen then they will.

Tips and tricks to help along the way:

• Learn to love and appreciate the little things, sometimes they turn out to be the big things.
  • Don’t get lazy with your pictures. This challenge becomes so much more fun if you have options for your photos.
  • Don’t worry about what other people think. Dr. Suess had the right idea when he said “those who matter don’t mind and those who mind don’t matter.”
  • Go out and do something you wouldn’t usually do. You might just end up having fun.
  • Don’t dread it. If you feel like you’re posting the pictures because you have to, then you’re doing it wrong.

Now take the challenge, be yourself and be happy.

View Comments (1)
Alanna Zaskoda
Alanna Zaskoda, Editor In Chief
Aloha. My name is Alanna Maria Zaskoda, but if you can't pronounce that you can give me a nickname. I am an avid Harry Potter fan and fashion fanatic. My horse is my life and I'll be your best friend. So shoot me an email or a tweet or a text and get to know me. That is all.
Sterling Greback
Sterling Greback, Photographer
Hey guys, I'm Sterling Greback. I have been on staff as a photographer for 2 years now, and I love it! Being a part of the Yearbook has been really important to me. I'm a junior this year, and I really love to go fishing. One of my friends has a boat and we go out on the lake all of the time. I also like BMX during my free time and playing video games (Can't wait for the new PS4). I have a pet cat, snake and turtle. I really hope this year will be fun! [email protected]
$3000
$5000

$3000
$5000

• M

Michelle McDanielAug 30, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I absolutely love this! It’s very well written and a great idea. I wish I had known about this at the start of the summer… I guess there’s no better time to start than the present!