Students For Reserved Parking Spots

Students say that they would prefer reserved parking spaces.

Students are currently not allowed to reserve parking spots. Parking spots are based on a first come first served basis. Students should be able to purchase a parking spot that will be reserved for their parking privileges.

If the administration changed the policy to allow purchased reserved parking, angry students would not leave complaining notes on students’ cars and damage to cars would decrease. Students would also know where to park each day, reducing the amount of tardies.

Surrounding schools currently have parking policies in place that allow students to reserve a parking spot. According to Mr. Pfaff, an administrator at Arlington High School, students can pay a fee of $45 to park on the campus and can pay $15 more to reserve their own parking spot. The Arlington policy allows the money raised to be presented to help out with their college tuition.

Mr. Dave Mason, an art teacher at Legacy, tried to get the MISD administration to pass the idea of painting/reserving parking spots in 2004 before Legacy opened, but his motion was denied because of the worry that painted spots would deter from the beauty of this school. However, reserving parking spots wouldn’t require paint. The district could place small numbers on each parking spot and then place that corresponding number on the parking sticker that goes on the students’ vehicles.

Then recently, the Legacy administrators denied the idea to Student Council members because administrators believe allowing reserved parking spots would require too much work on top of the current work load of APs, not only for Legacy High School, but for the Mansfield ISD Police Department as well. A simple fee would not cause too much extra work. Fees are already collected at the beginning of the year.

To keep students happier and possibly help seniors with the cost of tuition, the MISD administration should approve the policy change for parking lots to allow students to pay for a reserved spot.

Parking Spots

Jacob Friedberg
Jacob Friedberg, Staff Writer
My name is Jacob. This is my second year on the newspaper staff. I am known as the "graphic guru". I am growing strongly but slowly. I plan on attending Oklahoma State University or Texas A&M University. I have a F-150, people say I look tiny in it.
$3000
$5000