Toys for Tots Event Collects Gifts for Needy

MISDs Toy for Tots event is scheduled for Dec. 10.
Photo by Leland Mallett
MISD’s Toy for Tots event is scheduled for Dec. 10.

Toys collected by the Toys for Tots drive will be brought to the The Center on Wednesday, Dec. 10 during the annual event at 5:30-10:00 p.m. where all the clubs and activity groups from the Mansfield ISD schools set up booths and stands.

Toys for Tots, a foundation organized to help less-fortunate children experience the joys of Christmas, begins collecting toys during the month of October all the way through December. The foundation collects unwrapped toys, cash and or checks. The money raised helps to purchase toys for less fortunate children and allows people to give back to the community during the holiday.

Local Marine reserves collect toys annually in all 50 states for Toys for Tots, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Communities help in the collecting of these toys by setting up toy drop boxes in school, in churches and locally around the city.

This year Legacy established something new. Ms. Tamakian imposed a new challenge: the club to collect the highest percentage of toys will receive a pizza party.

“The purpose of the challenge is to make it more fun for us and encourage participation,” Tamakian said.

The event held at The Center will feature live reindeer, a large shark slide, free Santa photos, parade booths with free children’s activities, a snow tubing hill, a large bounce house obstacle course, a Winter Wonderland area and numerous activities. Food trucks and vendors will also offer free coffee, hot chocolate and apple cider.

The parade begins at 5:00 in the Center’s parking lot and will be followed by student performances on multiple stages. At 10:00, the Marines will begin to load all the toys collected for Toys for Tots. Several live broadcasts will also be made by FOX 4 news.

All toys, proceeds and donations will be given to children in need to have a happy holiday season.

Update: Mansfield ISD Toys for Tots Community Drive and even collected a total of 26,000 toys and an estimated $8,000 for the Toys for Tots charity in the DFW area.

View Comments (1)
Alanna Zaskoda
Alanna Zaskoda, Editor In Chief
Aloha. My name is Alanna Maria Zaskoda, but if you can't pronounce that you can give me a nickname. I am an avid Harry Potter fan and fashion fanatic. My horse is my life and I'll be your best friend. So shoot me an email or a tweet or a text and get to know me. That is all.
Bailey Reynolds
Bailey Reynolds, Staff Writer
Hey I'm Bailey and I'm a staff writer for The Rider. I'm a varsity swimmer and a sophomore. I have swam for seven years and for the school since I was a freshman. I enjoy writing and decided to join newspaper. I am looking forward to this year and hope I will have a great time in newspaper.
Leland Mallett
Leland Mallett, Adviser
After accidentally taking newspaper in junior high, Leland Mallett has always loved the art of telling stories. Leland has been the publications adviser at Legacy since the school opened in 2007. Since then, Legacy’s publication students have won numerous state and national awards for the online student newspaper and yearbook. His new passion is convergent journalism and finding new ways for students to tell a great story. Leland has also served on the Texas Association of Journalism Educators’ board and was honored with the Texas’ Edith Fox King Award, Legacy’s Teacher of the Year in 2010 and the Max R. Haddick Adviser of the Year for Texas in 2015. But really, he’s just going through life trying not to look like a moron.
$3000
$5000

$3000
$5000

• M

Miriam villalobosJan 8, 2015 at 8:49 am

Great way to help kids in need. Give them something we get all the time.