Student Athletes Commit to Colleges

Seniors+Braxton+Thomas%2C+Byron+Edwards%2C+Braylon+Chandler%2C+Ashley+Felan%2C+Khirah+Madison+and+Taaj+Bakari+sign+to+play+their+sport+in+college.+
Photo by Sterling Greback
Seniors Braxton Thomas, Byron Edwards, Braylon Chandler, Ashley Felan, Khirah Madison and Taaj Bakari sign to play their sport in college.

With the help of friends, family and coaches, seven students will sign the contract to play their sport at their future college. Taaj Bakari, committed to play football at Oklahoma State University (OSU) looks forward to playing his sport in college.

“It’s a good school and they always compete for good bowls,” Bakari said. “They will probably win a championship soon.”

Bakari knew at a young age that he would get a scholarship offer but didn’t know what college it would be. Originally Texas Christian University (TCU) offered Bakari a scholarship, however after visiting the OSU campus, he realized thats where he wanted to be. With the great atmosphere of the campus and the friendly people, Bakari realized that he wanted to play college football for OSU instead of TCU.

“I wanted to go to TCU at first,” Bakari said, “but I fell in love when I visited OSU.”

Writing emails to colleges, telling them about when and where you play can be scary and difficult. Senior Khirah Madison, playing soccer for Legacy, with the help of her father, wrote emails to the colleges of her choice asking them to come and watch her play soccer. She always figured she would get offered a scholarship, yet was still surprised when the offer from Southeastern Florida came through.

“I’m super excited, but i’m getting nervous as it gets closer,” Madison said. “I was excited because I get to get away from Texas, but I’m nervous because I’ll be so far away from home.”

Senior Gentry Ivery, receiver for the Legacy football team, will be attending Pittsburgh University. Ivery received the offer just weeks before signing day. After visiting the campus and getting to know the school, he realized that he wanted to be there and he wants to play football for their team.

“I feel really excited, I’m ready to get up there,” Ivery said. “I was surprised when I got the offer.”

SIgning Day Graphic

Other signees are:

Braxton Thomas – SE Oklahoma (Football)

Byron Edwards – Panhandle State Oklahoma (Football)

Braylon Chandler – SW University in Georgetown, TX (Football)

Ashley Felan – Cisco Jr. College (Soccer)

Ashley Richardson, Sports Editor
My name is Cheeks, yes Cheeks, it's not weird. I am a senior and I am the sports section editor. I am socially awkward, kind of, don't judge me. You'll grow to love me, everybody does, eventually. It's a great day to save lives people (if you don't know what that means, I'm disappointed).
Jacob Friedberg, Staff Writer
My name is Jacob. This is my second year on the newspaper staff. I am known as the "graphic guru". I am growing strongly but slowly. I plan on attending Oklahoma State University or Texas A&M University. I have a F-150, people say I look tiny in it.
Sterling Greback, Photographer
Hey guys, I'm Sterling Greback. I have been on staff as a photographer for 2 years now, and I love it! Being a part of the Yearbook has been really important to me. I'm a junior this year, and I really love to go fishing. One of my friends has a boat and we go out on the lake all of the time. I also like BMX during my free time and playing video games (Can't wait for the new PS4). I have a pet cat, snake and turtle. I really hope this year will be fun! [email protected]