Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond
Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond

Locally Owned Franchise Donates to Charity

Photo by Sterling Greback
Jersey Mikes locations across DFW are donating 100% of their sales from March 25 to Wipe Out Kids Cancer.

Nationwide food chains with hundreds of locations often overlook the lives of the people it services and nourishes. In Jersey Mike’s Sub’s case, giving back to the community runs deep in its culture. The franchise, which now has over 1,300 locations, will host what they call the “Day of Giving” on March 25. The day is part of a month long annual fundraising campaign called “Month of Giving.” On that Wednesday only, 100% of the sales from all DFW locations will be donated to Wipe Out Kids Cancer.

Junior River Huffhine’s dad owns four Jersey Mike’s locations across the metroplex and plans to open his fifth in the next few months. Huffhines has worked at Jersey Mikes’ Mansfield since it opened on the corner of Debbie Lane and Matlock.

“I just think its cool that I work somewhere that helps the community,” Huffhines said. “Every time you buy a sandwich it helps that community grow.”

Mr. Huffhines worked for several restaurants including Chipotle Mexican Grill before deciding it would be best for his family to get into owning his own store. After looking for options he decided on opening a Jersey Mikes, a decision he has never regretted.

“I believe wholeheartedly in Jersey Mikes and what we are doing,” Mr. Huffhines said. “I was sold from the beginning from going up to Point Pleasant, New Jersey to meet the home office. They’re incredible people, I felt right at home.”

The shop specializes in sub-style sandwiches including their famous Original Italian, an award winning sandwich topped with provolone cheese as well as 5 other freshly sliced meats. Junior Daniel Lopez appreciates the quality of the sandwiches as well as what Jersey Mikes does for the community.

“You can tell it’s freshly sliced when you taste it,” Lopez said. “Plus Jersey Mikes supports the community, not all companies take that extra step for charity.”

Some of the money raised from the DFW campaign for WOKC will be used for “buddy bags”, gift bags given to incoming cancer patients that include necessities such as shampoo.

“Most of the time their world is turned upside down,” Mr. Huffhines said. “The money we are raising goes towards these grab bags that give them anything they need.”

Last year’s Month of Giving campaign raised $2.1 million for more than 100 different charities. Huffhines believes Jersey Mike’s could raise even more this year for a cause that is sometimes overlooked.

“This was an opportunity for us to shine light on it, and we think its a super important cause,” Mr. Huffhines said. “There’s people that care and it’s an awesome feeling to be a part of it.”

Ben Townsend
Ben Townsend, News Editor
I'm the News Editor so yeah. Enjoy the news. Go team.
Sterling Greback
Sterling Greback, Photographer
Hey guys, I'm Sterling Greback. I have been on staff as a photographer for 2 years now, and I love it! Being a part of the Yearbook has been really important to me. I'm a junior this year, and I really love to go fishing. One of my friends has a boat and we go out on the lake all of the time. I also like BMX during my free time and playing video games (Can't wait for the new PS4). I have a pet cat, snake and turtle. I really hope this year will be fun! [email protected]
View Comments (1)
$3000
$5000